2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

In our firm we use a customised normal.dot. Most of the standard shortcuts (such as Ctrl+P for Print...) are retained, however, we have assigned Crtl+1, for example, to one of our numbering styles. We have recently moved offices therefore have released an updated normal.dot where autotext entries etc., have been amended to show our new address. Since this template has been released, some of our users are reporting that their standard shortcuts no longer work. I recall already experiencing this issue a few years back, however, I can't remember what the solution was, however, one thing I do remember is that this issue only occured with desktop users, not laptop users.

Before I spend hours trying to diagnose the problem, does anyone have any useful tips?

As an aside, can anybody please tell me why, having used the listcommand macro, the standard shortcut keys (e.g., Ctrl+S) are not listed?

Thanks in advance.

Violet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    When I run ListCommands (in Word 2003 SP3), standard keyboard shortcuts are listed - see screenshot:

[attachment=84583:x.png]

If they aren't, they may have been disabled. Perhaps that's what your users experience?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (6.5 KB, 2 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='783320' date='07-Jul-2009 12:25']When I run ListCommands (in Word 2003 SP3), standard keyboard shortcuts are listed - see screenshot:

[attachment=84583:x.png]

If they aren't, they may have been disabled. Perhaps that's what your users experience?[/quote]

Hi Hans,

Is there a way of disabling shortcuts at the local machine? We don't use office group policies or anything like that and having had a quick look at the registry, can't see anything untoward in there.

Thanks,

V

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It could be done through the Normal template or an add-in (global template).

Try Phil Rabichow's Systematic Approach to behavioral Problems in Word.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='783336' date='07-Jul-2009 14:30']It could be done through the Normal template or an add-in (global template).

Try Phil Rabichow's Systematic Approach to behavioral Problems in Word.[/quote]

Thanks - I thought perhaps you meant there was an overall setting for disabling all that I'd never come across before. I'm confident it's not a problem with normal.dot as the same file is copied on to all machines but only desktops experience the issue. I'm sure it's something to do with the build...I'll keep at it.

Thanks again,

V

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='violet' post='783316' date='07-Jul-2009 06:45']Hi all,

In our firm we use a customised normal.dot. Most of the standard shortcuts (such as Ctrl+P for Print...) are retained, however, we have assigned Crtl+1, for example, to one of our numbering styles. We have recently moved offices therefore have released an updated normal.dot where autotext entries etc., have been amended to show our new address. Since this template has been released, some of our users are reporting that their standard shortcuts no longer work. I recall already experiencing this issue a few years back, however, I can't remember what the solution was, however, one thing I do remember is that this issue only occured with desktop users, not laptop users.

Before I spend hours trying to diagnose the problem, does anyone have any useful tips?

As an aside, can anybody please tell me why, having used the listcommand macro, the standard shortcut keys (e.g., Ctrl+S) are not listed?

Thanks in advance.

Violet[/quote]

Hi Viiolet

Just for kicks; see what happens with Ctrl + Alt + F8
    Regards
    Don

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wdwells' post='783434' date='08-Jul-2009 01:53']Hi Viiolet

Just for kicks; see what happens with Ctrl + Alt + F8[/quote]

I set myself up for something exciting there...nothing happened :-(

The only way I've been able to get the shortcuts to work is to run word from a command prompt without the add-ins. If I then add the add-ins once Word is running, the shortcuts are fine. Very confused.

Thanks for that though.

V

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Ctrl+Alt+F8 doesn't do anything in Word as far as I know.

If the keyboard shortcuts do work if you start Word without add-ins, I'd move all add-ins out of Word's startup folder, then move them back one by one, testing each time whether the keyboard shortcuts still work if you start Word normally.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='783500' date='08-Jul-2009 12:32']Ctrl+Alt+F8 doesn't do anything in Word as far as I know.

If the keyboard shortcuts do work if you start Word without add-ins, I'd move all add-ins out of Word's startup folder, then move them back one by one, testing each time whether the keyboard shortcuts still work if you start Word normally.[/quote]

Thanks Hans - I tried that but upon starting Word the shortcuts didn't respond once again. I know everything points to a problem with normal, but I keep coming back to the fact that all users in all locations have the same normal.dot and it's only desktop users located in Glasgow who are experiencing the problem (and since the desktops were given, brand new, to users on Monday, my suspicion that the issues lies with the desktop build isn't going away)

I'm fast losing the will to continue with this one!

V

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I fear that it'd be necessary to work directly on one of the problem PCs to find the culprit...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Would you believe it...one of the dm integration addins was missing!!!

If I hadn't been scrutinising the addins again, I'd still be stumped so thanks again Hans.

Violet