5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Normally I'd do this using VBA but I was just wondering...

I have a (noisy) column with data-points.
    I have a trigger value
    I expect the data to be horizontal in the beginning (that's where I get my trigger value), but later it starts to rise (linearly)
    I'd like to know from which point forward, the points get above my trigger.

There's a twist... (although not super crucial); due to noise it might trigger earlier, I don't want to know that point, just want to know when it's really going up (so maybe I want to know the first point BELOW the trigger when I go backwards?). Yes, I know, I can do high-freq filtering (read: moving average for example). Question would be in general if there might be a (relatively) simple way to just do this with formulas (VLOOKUP, MATCH etc.). No a real problem, VBA is maybe the more obvious solution...

Thanks
    I can see several possibilities, but it will depend on the data and what you are using the data and the result for.

Do you have some example data lists (so we can play) and expand on what you want to use that particular value for?

Steve

Thanks
    [quote name='ErikJan' post='783531' date='08-Jul-2009 07:59']Normally I'd do this using VBA but I was just wondering...

I have a (noisy) column with data-points.
    I have a trigger value
    I expect the data to be horizontal in the beginning (that's where I get my trigger value), but later it starts to rise (linearly)
    I'd like to know from which point forward, the points get above my trigger.

There's a twist... (although not super crucial); due to noise it might trigger earlier, I don't want to know that point, just want to know when it's really going up (so maybe I want to know the first point BELOW the trigger when I go backwards?). Yes, I know, I can do high-freq filtering (read: moving average for example). Question would be in general if there might be a (relatively) simple way to just do this with formulas (VLOOKUP, MATCH etc.). No a real problem, VBA is maybe the more obvious solution...[/quote]
    here is a file with some options (if I've interpreted your question correctly).
    I've highlighted timepoints, identified the cell, and created a list of timepoints.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    [quote name='sdckapr' post='783572' date='08-Jul-2009 10:44']I can see several possibilities, but it will depend on the data and what you are using the data and the result for.

Do you have some example data lists (so we can play) and expand on what you want to use that particular value for?

Steve[/quote]
    Thanks to Steve, I have a more complete sample file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='783781' date='09-Jul-2009 16:49']here is a file with some options (if I've interpreted your question correctly).
    I've highlighted timepoints, identified the cell, and created a list of timepoints.[/quote]

I'm looking at it and it seems to do what I wanted. I'm looking only for the last point in the range below my trigger (assuming that from there on my data will rise). [so would there be a way to just get this one time or row?]

I'll try to do some more testing later (with my real data set) and I'll report back on what I found (as I'm still developing my tool; plse allow me a few more days to implement this and check this out)