New Lounger
    Thanks
    I asked a semi-pro tech guru this question, and she sent me over here.

Are there any 64-bit (Vista) compatible VPN software applications out there? I've tried installing Cisco VPN Client (I thought it was called EasyVPN, but I can't prove it right now) on my boss' computer for work applications, without success. The one client I found on another site popped a warning window that it wasn't tested to be compatible with Windows when I tried a dry run on my XP computer at home, so I canceled the install before going too far with that.

Any experience with working 64-bit compatible VPN solutions?

While appreciated, workarounds such as gotomypc.com aren't suitable for this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    ~Tom~

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='TomC00' post='783609' date='08-Jul-2009 13:45']I asked a semi-pro tech guru this question, and she sent me over here.

Are there any 64-bit (Vista) compatible VPN software applications out there? I've tried installing Cisco VPN Client (I thought it was called EasyVPN, but I can't prove it right now) on my boss' computer for work applications, without success. The one client I found on another site popped a warning window that it wasn't tested to be compatible with Windows when I tried a dry run on my XP computer at home, so I canceled the install before going too far with that.

Any experience with working 64-bit compatible VPN solutions?[/quote]

Are you connecting to a Windows network? While not 64-bit, we've got some folks using the native VPN capability in WinXP pro. I suspect you'd be able to do the same with Vista. I was not directly involved with the configuration stuff on the client or server side so I can't give you any details. I do know it was pretty easy.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='783645' date='08-Jul-2009 16:38']Are you connecting to a Windows network? While not 64-bit, we've got some folks using the native VPN capability in WinXP pro. I suspect you'd be able to do the same with Vista. I was not directly involved with the configuration stuff on the client or server side so I can't give you any details. I do know it was pretty easy.

Joe[/quote]

I can't truthfully answer. I use the Cisco VPN software successfully from my XP home computer and my XP laptop to establish a VPN connection, and I'm able to use VNC and Remote Desktop to access different physical locations in my corporate network. There are also proprietary Company software programs that need the VPN connection to operate.

My biggest problem here is that the corporate IT response to "my new 64-bit Vista laptop won't load the VPN program I need to effectively do my job" is essentially "Duuude. Sucks to be you. We don't know that anyone's really gotten around to that. Bummer." Naturally, when my boss' job is easier, my job is easier, so I'd love to get an answer myself, and really, the sooner the better.