Lounger
    Thanks

Macro not found w/scan (XP)

When I select the "Scan" or "Acquire Text" option on the File menu I get an error that says "The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your macro security settings." I have changed my security settings to low. Running w2K SP2 and using an HP OfficeJet R80i. This was an upgrade install and the HP software was on the machine. In researching this on the HP site I learned that the software that came with the Office Jet is not needed with W2K. I have not uninstalled it. It will scan into a Word document by using Insert/Picture/From Scanner. Their is also a Textbridge option under the file menu which produces the same error. This is curious because this software was uninstalled from the 2000 installation long ago because Textbridge does not work with the OfficeJet R80.

How do I go about cleaning up all this?

Thanks, RJ

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro not found w/scan (XP)

First, set your security settings to "medium" at minimum- that will ask you first if you want to run any macros, and offers you a bit more protection.

Check in Word for the startup templates location- Tools, Options, File Locations; under "Startup". Use Windows Explorer to look in that folder. I suspect you will find at least one file with a "dot" extension. Rename any to ".old" (Don't delete- just in case there's one there that you really still need).
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Lounger
    Thanks

Renaming normal.dot got removed the "Scan", "Acquire text", and "Acquire Text setup". Now how do I get them back except functioning? Is there some setup hidden somewhere? Thanks,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Roger,

<hr>Now how do I get them back except functioning? <hr>
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this.

I'm surprised there was a normal.dot in that folder. I expected that one to be in the "User Templates" path. Unless:
    .The 2 paths are the same
    or
    .There are 2 normal.dot files

If you wish to keep some routines, and not others, you will have to rename the normal.dot back again, and use the VB editor to remove unwanted routines
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for not being clear on this. What I would like to do is to make these functions work. I have restored the old normal.dot and now have the "Scan" and "Acquire text" items back under the File menu. When I quick on either one I get the "Macro not found" error.

Thanks

The menu may point to nonexistent macros. Try running the macro in attached document to find out the actions associated with those menu items, and see if there are any matching macros. If not, maybe you can reinstall the HP stuff.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. This confirms the problem that I don't have the macros themselves. It is my understanding that these are Office features and come with Office. I double checked the HP site and there is nothing there. In fact with W2K the drivers are in the OS so there are not even any drivers to download.