3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Home>Paragraph>Line and Page Breaks>Page break before (checked) crashes Word 2007 every single time with this one report I am working with. WTF is going on here? I have no theories about what the problem might be.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you able to insert a page break -- without crashing the doc -- by pressing Ctrl Enter?

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='783632' date='08-Jul-2009 16:01']Home>Paragraph>Line and Page Breaks>Page break before (checked) crashes Word 2007 every single time with this one report I am working with. WTF is going on here? I have no theories about what the problem might be.[/quote]
    If you desperately need to make the page break at that point, put in a bunch of carriage returns until it throws to the next page automatically. Doesn't solve the crash mystery but it solves the immediate problem.

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='783632' date='08-Jul-2009 13:01']Home>Paragraph>Line and Page Breaks>Page break before (checked) crashes Word 2007 every single time with this one report I am working with.[/quote]
    Any chance Word is doing something unfortunate like trying to replicate this formatting change to all paragraphs of the same style?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Inserting page breaks via Insert>Page Break worked fine...dunno why the other method kept crashing Word. I didn't notice if that formatting change applied itself to all sections of that same style, thought that is a possibility (there are about 6 sections in that style).

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='783773' date='09-Jul-2009 07:25']I didn't notice if that formatting change applied itself to all sections of that same style, thought that is a possibility (there are about 6 sections in that style).[/quote]
    I believe "page break before" is a paragraph formatting setting. By analogy, if you change a paragraph's format to have a half-inch indent, it's possible for Word to replicate that change to all other paragraphs in the same style if a particular box is checked in the style definition. I was wondering whether that might be happening with the "page break before" setting as well.