Thanks
    I'm thinking about whether it is possible for an array formula to condense a list.
    If I have a column of numbers with blanks in the column can I use a formula to extract / condense those numbers into a list without blanks.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    If I understand, this array (confirm with ctrl-shift-enter) should work:

=INDEX($A$1:$A$100,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER($A$1:$A$100), ROW($A$1:$A$100)),ROW($A$1:$A$100)))

Steve

PS if you select a range longer than the number of elements, the last elements will be #NUM! error

Thanks
    [quote name='sdckapr' post='783661' date='08-Jul-2009 15:50']If I understand, this array (confirm with ctrl-shift-enter) should work:

=INDEX($A$1:$A$100,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER($A$1:$A$100), ROW($A$1:$A$100)),ROW($A$1:$A$100)))

Steve

PS if you select a range longer than the number of elements, the last elements will be #NUM! error[/quote]
    Post 783781 has a file attached that started me on this quest. I had no luck with your formula - although if I'm playing with plain numbers it works well.

Other functions I tried NOT ISNUMBER, ISTEXT and played around with TYPE too.

can you see the obvious thing I'm probably missing?
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    The Timepoints in the file are not numbers so ISNUMBER will not work. ISTEXT does not work since a null string is still text (only text with length of zero). You could use which makes sure the text is not a null.

=INDEX($E$1:$E$26,SMALL(IF($E$3:$E$26<>"",ROW($E$3 :$E$26)),ROW($E$1:$E$26)))

Note the index must start with row 1 since the formula looks at the rows. The 2nd row formula also must start at row1 since it is getting the the nth value from 1 to 26. The other 2 ranges start with the top of the data.

Steve

Thanks
    a null string is still text

I did not know that - thank you!
    WebGenii Home Page