Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I'm only guessing this forum would be the appropriate place to post this issue. But I'll let the ever-present Mods decide and move it if they deem it belongs elsewhere.

I have CCleaner installed on all my systems. All the checked items are identical on all systems for "Cleaner". I have IE8 installed on all my various systems; Win 7, Vista and 3 XP. When I run CCleaner (latest version on all) it only takes about 5-10 seconds to complete in Win 7 and the XP systems. BUT... on my Vista system it takes nearly 60 seconds to complete. (that's why I'm posting here as it appears to be a Vista issue). The item which holds things up is the Internet Explorer "History". It takes a looooong time to complete and after it is done another dialog box opens indicating that the History files are being deleted, like it is doing it twice? I have tried to narrow it down by watching the items displayed in the main window which are being 'cleaned' and the screenshot below appears to be the culprit.

Any ideas how to remedy this issue? And perhaps the item which I think might be causing the problem isn't the problem at all so I would be very open to other suggestions as well.

ADDENDUM: the item under Internet Explorer "index .dat files" is NOT checked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you don't get a satisfactory reply here, you might register at the Piriform Community Forums and ask there. You'll find the interface familiar, and they even have a Lounge!

Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='783666' date='08-Jul-2009 18:38']I have CCleaner installed on all my systems. All the checked items are identical on all systems for "Cleaner". I have IE8 installed on all my various systems; Win 7, Vista and 3 XP. When I run CCleaner (latest version on all) it only takes about 5-10 seconds to complete in Win 7 and the XP systems. BUT... on my Vista system it takes nearly 60 seconds to complete. (that's why I'm posting here as it appears to be a Vista issue). The item which holds things up is the Internet Explorer "History". It takes a looooong time to complete and after it is done another dialog box opens indicating that the History files are being deleted, like it is doing it twice? I have tried to narrow it down by watching the items displayed in the main window which are being 'cleaned' and the screenshot below appears to be the culprit.

Any ideas how to remedy this issue? And perhaps the item which I think might be causing the problem isn't the problem at all so I would be very open to other suggestions as well.

ADDENDUM: the item under Internet Explorer "index .dat files" is NOT checked.[/quote]
    Jeff,
    I use CCleaner on all three OSs and on all, I DO have the index.dat file checked. Is there a particular reason for not checking it?
    The first hit on a google for index.dat comes up with this:
    ---------------------------------------------
    Index.dat are files hidden on your computer that contain all of the Web sites that you have ever visited. Every URL, and every Web page is listed there. Not only that but all of the email that has been sent or received through Outlook or Outlook Express is also being logged. The file names and locations depend on what version of Internet Explorer you have. If you are running IE version 4.0 or above, the file name is "index.dat". Microsoft has not supplied an adequate explanation as to what these files are for or why they have been hidden so well.

According to Microsoft, these files are used to cache visited Web sites to help speed up the loading of Web pages in Internet Explorer. Obviously this cannot be the case because when you clear the Temporary Internet Files the "index.dat" files remain behind and continue to grow. If you delete or clear the Temporary Internet Files, there is absolutely no need to index the URL cache because those files no longer exist. ( Bold typeface is mine )

On Windows Vista Computer, index.dat files are located :

\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\Cookies\index.dat
    \Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\Cookies\low\index.dat
    \Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
    C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\History\Content.IE5\index.dat
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='783688' date='08-Jul-2009 20:06']I use CCleaner on all three OSs and on all, I DO have the index.dat file checked. Is there a particular reason for not checking it?[/quote]
    Yes, the reason for not checking the "index.dat file" item is because it has been my understanding (right or wrong) that by cleaning this file ALL cookies will be deleted even if you have cookies set to not be deleted in Options. IF that is true, then this would result in my having to manually login to every forum, website, etc., where a login is required each day because I always run CCleaner nightly before heading off to bed.

Now, IF this is not true, i.e., ALL cookies are not deleted, then it might be worth a try. Can you or someone else confirm one way or the other about ALL cookies being deleted if the "index.dat file" is checked in CCleaner?

But again, I don't have this problem on any other system... just Vista and only after I upgraded to IE8.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='783692' date='08-Jul-2009 19:37']But again, I don't have this problem on any other system... just Vista and only after I upgraded to IE8.[/quote]

It seems as though it may be a Ccleaner issue with IE8 on Vista. I'd check the Piriform forums.

Joe
    Joe