3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have resisted installation of ,net framework up to now. However, recently I wanted to slipstream XP with nLite, and that required .net 2.0. With hesitation, I installed that. nLite did its job, but then Windows update told me I needed to upgrade to .net 3.5, which it intimated replaces .net 2.0. I downloaded a HUGE (almost 200MB) installation file for .net 3.5 and installed this. It did NOT replace .net 2.0. So finally I came to my senses and attempted to uninstall .net 3.5 it from the Control Panel. Oh dear! Oyster won't let you. Told to go to a web site (can't click or copy the URL, have to type it in), long description of all of the problems with .net 3.5, and among it a file to download to remove. Downloaded that, ran it, 'sorry unsuccessful'!

In the end, I did a System Restore to prior to installing this humungous and hideous utiility, then (I think) successfully removed .net 2.0 (although in the middle there was a message to say it had a problem, would I like to report to Microsoft?), removed all evidence of the .net, but still seem to be left with around 500MB of lost space (which I can't identify) on my C drive.

I find it very, very hard to believe that Microsoft seriously think that people will be willing to download, install and use such bloatware. Why would any developer want to use such a user-unfriendly addition? The whole thing is beyond me!

[Didn't there used to be a 'Rant Off' emoticon?]

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the .Net Framework is bloated (and versions 1, 2 and 3 coexist, making it even worse), but on the other hand, what is a few hundred megabytes on todays hard disks?

See Skitterbug's Post 762559 and Jefferson Scher's reply in the same topic for a list of the "old" smileys and how to include them in a post.

Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='783722' date='08-Jul-2009 22:34']I find it very, very hard to believe that Microsoft seriously think that people will be willing to download, install and use such bloatware. Why would any developer want to use such a user-unfriendly addition? The whole thing is beyond me![/quote]
    The idea is for developers to not have to write platform-specific code and instead write to the framework. Since many developers use it, there's a good chance it's already installed. But obviously not in every case.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='783906' date='10-Jul-2009 10:37']The idea is for developers to not have to write platform-specific code and instead write to the framework. Since many developers use it, there's a good chance it's already installed. But obviously not in every case. [/quote]

Thanks. I suppose I should try to understand this. But (although I'm sure they don't care), said developers will have to provide me with cast-iron reasons to want to install this bloatware ever again. Before I thought I could probably uninstall after use (for one time needs). Since this appears to be problematic, I certainly don't wish to take the risk again to install such a HUGE mess with no effective means of removing it.

Chris