Thanks
    Having been pointed to DNS Performance Testing software by Windows Secrets Newsletter, I have tried it. But the tests are done against a largely American list of 100,000 (count 'em!) domain names. The results are interesting, but to some extent irrelevant.

This got me thinking - can anyone suggest a method by which I can capture (or extract) all the "real world" URLs which are used by staff at all the computers at work? Almost everyone uses IE (7 at present), and a couple of the more adventurous are using Firefox and (even!) Opera. I don't know where I'd look in Windows Server 2003 (even assuming it caches all the domain names) and I can't see that a router would have space to hold these.

Testing on the URLs that people actually use would be a much more meaningful DNS test...

Thanks!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    If I understand what you are after correctly, there appears to be plenty of solutions out there, but you aren't clear on how many connections you want to monitor, whether you want a software or hardware solution, or whether or not you want to pay - and if so how much!

If you only want to get a general idea, you may be able to get some monitoring software on a demo basis that might give you a month's snapshot.

And exactly what are you trying to achieve?

Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='783736' date='09-Jul-2009 08:00']If I understand what you are after correctly, there appears to be plenty of solutions out there, but you aren't clear on how many connections you want to monitor, whether you want a software or hardware solution, or whether or not you want to pay - and if so how much!

If you only want to get a general idea, you may be able to get some monitoring software on a demo basis that might give you a month's snapshot.

And exactly what are you trying to achieve?[/quote]
    I am trying to test whether we should use the DNS servers
    • from a web hosting company
    • provided by our ISP
    • OpenDNS
    • from elsewhere
    since we appear to be getting unaccountable delays from the former!

There isn't any point putting a lot of effort into it, but I was hoping to collect URLs which we commonly use (preferably from the server, but if necessary from each PC). IPCONFIG /DISPLAYDNS looked promising, but doesn't seem to provide much data; extracting information from Firefox is possible using History -> Export, and I'm just looking into any equivalent for Internet Explorer.

Funnily I had never even thought of Internet Monitoring Software!

Here are some stats from PINGing likely DNS servers:

ROUND TRIP TIMES
    ----------------
    Pinging resolver1.opendns.com [208.67.222.222]
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 16ms

Pinging resolver2.opendns.com [208.67.220.220]
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 16ms

Pinging cache1.service.virginmedia.net [194.168.4.100]
    Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 9ms

Pinging cache2.service.virginmedia.net [194.168.4.100]
    Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 10ms

Pinging ns1-tel.blueyonder.net [194.117.134.19]
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 19ms
    BATcher

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='783729' date='08-Jul-2009 23:13']This got me thinking - can anyone suggest a method by which I can capture (or extract) all the "real world" URLs which are used by staff at all the computers at work?[/quote]
    If you have a firewall appliance with syslog output, you can gather unspeakable volumes of data on all internet traffic, which you then could filter for HTTP and HTTPS traffic.

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='783910' date='10-Jul-2009 05:05']If you have a firewall appliance with syslog output, you can gather unspeakable volumes of data on all internet traffic, which you then could filter for HTTP and HTTPS traffic.[/quote]
    No, just a Netgear FVS114... It seems to do very little in the way of logging.
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you use OpenDNS then you can enable stats collection. After a reasonable period of time you could then use these stats to identify domain names for testing.

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='783932' date='10-Jul-2009 09:17']If you use OpenDNS then you can enable stats collection. After a reasonable period of time you could then use these stats to identify domain names for testing.[/quote]
    Thanks, Stuart - that sounds like the easiest option. I shall read up on these stats on my return.
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='784173' date='12-Jul-2009 09:16']Thanks, Stuart - that sounds like the easiest option. I shall read up on these stats on my return.[/quote]
    I enabled stats collection when I made my previous post, to see what data is available.
    The "Top Domains" report can display domains for any given date range, sorted by number of requests. It listed more than 400 domains for me this week, some with only 1 request, so I guess "Top" refers to the sort order and not the number of domains.

[attachment=84662:TopDomains.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images