Thread: OneCare Ending

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So received email that OneCare is going to be non-existent soon. I have used Norton but it takes up so many resources on my machine. What other anti-virus and security software do the rest of you recommend?
    lynndelap

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    OneCare will be discontinued, but it will be succeeded by a new free security product from Microsoft: Morro. Beta testing began last month (June 2009).
    Here's the official word about it: Microsoft Announces Plans for No-Cost Consumer Security Offering.
    I assume that support for OneCare will continue until Morro is released.

If this is for your home PC: Norton AntiVirus 2009 is much leaner than previous versions, it uses little memory and CPU capacity. I've been using it at home and I like it.
    Other good commercial security programs are ESET - NOD32 and Kaspersky Lab: Antivirus software.
    avast! is free for non-commercial home use.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='783817' date='09-Jul-2009 19:18']avast! is free for non-commercial home use.[/quote]
    As is Avira Antivir (but it does nag a lot!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='lynndelap' post='783814' date='09-Jul-2009 13:05']So received email that OneCare is going to be non-existent soon. I have used Norton but it takes up so many resources on my machine. What other anti-virus and security software do the rest of you recommend? [/quote]

The new Microsoft product is Microsoft Security Essentials Beta Home. I've been running it on three systems at home. It is very lightweight and I've had no problems so far. Unfortunately, the beta is currently closed. You may want to check the MSE home page from time to time to see if they are accepting more beta participants or the product has been released.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='783887' date='09-Jul-2009 17:54']The new Microsoft product is Microsoft Security Essentials Beta Home. I've been running it on three systems at home. It is very lightweight and I've had no problems so far. Unfortunately, the beta is currently closed. You may want to check the MSE home page from time to time to see if they are accepting more beta participants or the product has been released.

Joe[/quote]
    For what it is worth...
    Initial news reports stated that the program requires Automatic Updates to be enabled.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jim Cone' post='783913' date='09-Jul-2009 23:35']For what it is worth...
    Initial news reports stated that the program requires Automatic Updates to be enabled.[/quote]

I've got two machines set to "notify only" and one set to "download and update". All three work fine. Most people should have Automatic updates on anyway.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='783967' date='10-Jul-2009 13:14']I've got two machines set to "notify only" and one set to "download and update". All three work fine. Most people should have Automatic updates on anyway.

Joe[/quote]
    lynndelap

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the information! I won't do anything then until the new release from Microsoft is out.
    lynndelap

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='lynndelap' post='784018' date='10-Jul-2009 11:59']Thanks everyone for the information! I won't do anything then until the new release from Microsoft is out.[/quote]

If you want some of the other pieces of OneCare NOT related to a/v see 7/21/09 - Special Trade-Up Options for Microsoft’s Windows Live™ OneCare™ Users from Raxco.

NOTE: You'd still need an A/V and anti-spyware solution such as Microsoft Security Essentials.

Joe
    Joe