Lounger
    Thanks
    I am currently running Windows XP Professional. What are the major differences between the home edition premium and the professional as concerns Window 7?

Mike L

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    [quote name='mikethekey' post='783894' date='09-Jul-2009 21:36']I am currently running Windows XP Professional. What are the major differences between the home edition premium and the professional as concerns Window 7?

Mike L[/quote]

See Post 782529 for a link to a blog by Ed Bott that compares the different versions of Windows 7.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='mikethekey' post='783894' date='09-Jul-2009 20:36']I am currently running Windows XP Professional. What are the major differences between the home edition premium and the professional as concerns Window 7?[/quote]

See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Windows 7 Product Editions: A Comparison.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not used tested or use the Beta version. Will any of the upgrade versions allow me to upgrade from Window XP Pro directly, or will I have to download the Beta version, if still available?

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='mikethekey' post='783989' date='10-Jul-2009 09:07']I have not used tested or use the Beta version. Will any of the upgrade versions allow me to upgrade from Window XP Pro directly, or will I have to download the Beta version, if still available?[/quote]

Upgrading any version of Windows XP to any version of Windows 7 will require a clean install. You do not have to install a pre-release version of Windows 7 first. Also, you still qualify for the upgrade pricing.

From Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Windows 7 FAQ:
    "Q: I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Do I have to get Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade, or can I purchase any Windows 7 Upgrade version?

A: As long as you qualify for Upgrade pricing (i.e. have basically any version of Windows XP or Vista), you can purchase and install any Windows 7 Upgrade version. However, you may or may not be able to perform an in-place upgrade depending on your current Windows version. A person with Windows Vista Ultimate, for example, qualifies for Windows 7 Home Premium. But they would have to perform a clean install."

Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='mikethekey' post='783989' date='10-Jul-2009 10:07']I have not used tested or use the Beta version. Will any of the upgrade versions allow me to upgrade from Window XP Pro directly, or will I have to download the Beta version, if still available?[/quote]

The RC and beta versions are not a prerequisite to upgrade to Windows 7. Yes, you can upgrade from Windows XP Pro directly to Windows 7 (any flavor) but you will have to do a clean install. If you are sure you are going to Windows 7, you have today and tomorrow to pre-order either Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro at half price. Windows 7 will be available October 22.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='mikethekey' post='783894' date='09-Jul-2009 21:36']I am currently running Windows XP Professional. What are the major differences between the home edition premium and the professional as concerns Window 7?

Mike L[/quote]
    Assuming you have sufficient HD space, you should be able to set up a dual boot configuration of both XP and Win7, keeping the best of two worlds.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='784019' date='10-Jul-2009 12:30']Assuming you have sufficient HD space, you should be able to set up a dual boot configuration of both XP and Win7, keeping the best of two worlds.[/quote]

In no way would I conisder XP to be the best of any world when comared to Win7. If you really must have XP to run a program or app then you'd be better off going with Win 7 Pro and getting XP mode. See Windows 7 "XP Mode" system requirements | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com for the system requirments for XP mode.

Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='784042' date='10-Jul-2009 15:29']In no way would I consider XP to be the best of any world when compared to Win7.
    Joe[/quote]
    To each his own, Joe. I'm still into XP and have practically ignored Vista Ultimate. Win7 does seem better than Vista but then I've only been doing a casual look\test of it.
    ALL of my main apps are still in XP.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='784060' date='10-Jul-2009 15:39']To each his own, Joe. I'm still into XP and have practically ignored Vista Ultimate. Win7 does seem better than Vista but then I've only been doing a casual look\test of it.
    ALL of my main apps are still in XP.[/quote]

I understand that is the "P" in PC is personal. After having been away from XP for over eighteen months at work (Vista & now Win7 RC) and over 16 months at home (Vista) I really do not like having to work on an XP machine. Everything about the UI & the apps I use most seems very dated. I guess I've moved on and don't want to look back.

I'm using the Win7 RC on my main system at work. I do like it a lot. You should be aware that the same considerations about compatability exist with Win 7 as existed with Vista. There are some UI differences between Vista and Win7. Also, Microsoft have made the Aero look much more consistent throughout the OS. IMO, folks moving from XP to Win7 will have the same issues that folks like me had moving from XP to Vista.

BTW, if you have a machine that supports it Win 7 Pro's XP mode may be what you need. See Inside Win 7 Xp mode and Windows 7 "XP Mode" system requirements | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com for more information.

Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='784067' date='10-Jul-2009 17:08']I understand that is the "P" in PC is personal. [/quote]

Gotta love that quote!!!
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks
    For my first post I am going to introduce something about Windows 7 Home Premium that I am uncomfortable with. I have looked at the other posts and links but have not seen mentioned that with Home Premium you have no access to Local Users and Groups within the Administrative Tools section. I generally adjust some of the entries in these sections when I set up a system and was quite surprised to find them missing, but a net search confirmed their unavailability in Home Premium for both Windows 7 and Vista. I do not understand why Microsoft removed this tool from this edition, probably the "Home" designation negated certain administrative functions to protect home users from messing up their system. I also turn off the Hibernate function and have not found this ability in Home Premium yet either, although I have not looked very hard.

This post is for information on the versions, not really a heated complaint. I bought a 3 pack so I will have to deal with it, unless I find more things that will cause me to go to the Professional edition in utter disgust. I do like the Windows 7 OS upon initial release better than any prior from MS. Would have been nice if the RC came in all editions so I could have known about this prior to shelling out actual cash.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    Yes, you can upgrade from Windows XP Pro directly to Windows 7 (any flavor) but you will have to do a clean install.
    I believe that MS is calling this a migration. It requires that you boot W7 inside of XP, "migrate" your settings to a storage medium, then reboot with W7, and then complete a clean install. Upgrade is a little confusing. Correct me if this is wrong.
    Keystone Province, Canada!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How to perform an In-Place upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7
    Yes it can be done despite the fact that Microsoft wants XP users to start with a clean install thereby losing all your user files, settings and applications !

http://www.pagestart.com/xpwin7inplaceupgrade01.html