Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft have released Silverlight 3

There are quite a few new features since version 2, for details see What's new in Silverlight 3

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/get-s...ll/default.aspx

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

If you already have Silverlight 2 installed, will this update to version 3 be offered via Automatic Updates? OR do you have to download and install it manually?
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='784026' date='10-Jul-2009 14:22']If you already have Silverlight 2 installed, will this update to version 3 be offered via Automatic Updates? OR do you have to download and install it manually?[/quote]
    Jeff,
    I have Auto Updates disabled and I DL and installed Silverlight 3 over the old version. At the end of the install, it offered to turn ON Auto Updates but I unchecked the option box and it completed the install and said SL3 installed OK.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Currently, it's not even offered through Microsoft Update as an optional update, but that might change in the future...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='784026' date='10-Jul-2009 13:22']If you already have Silverlight 2 installed, will this update to version 3 be offered via Automatic Updates? OR do you have to download and install it manually?[/quote]

If you visit a website that requires Silverlight 3 the update should be offered. Eventually, Microsoft will release Silverlight 3 to Windows/Microsoft Update. It is just as easy to click on the "get started" link that Tony posted. The download is less than 5 MB.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='784030' date='10-Jul-2009 14:44']Jeff,
    I have Auto Updates disabled and I DL and installed Silverlight 3 over the old version. At the end of the install, it offered to turn ON Auto Updates but I unchecked the option box and it completed the install and said SL3 installed OK.[/quote]
    Added info to the post.
    Silverlight completed OK but it did NOT overwrite the old version 2. It simply created a new folder under the main Silverlight folder. Similar to a Java update where it just adds another version.
    I deleted the old version 2 folder and it's contents. Seems fine.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bob for sharing your experience. From what happened to you I decided to first uninstall Silverlight 2 and then installed Silverlight 3. The problem I have with all these Silverlight sites is that I'm on a satellite connection and it can't buffer the content fast enough and thus all that I have visited so far are either choppy or blurred.... too bad.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='784102' date='10-Jul-2009 20:01']Thanks Bob for sharing your experience. From what happened to you I decided to first uninstall Silverlight 2 and then installed Silverlight 3. The problem I have with all these Silverlight sites is that I'm on a satellite connection and it can't buffer the content fast enough and thus all that I have visited so far are either choppy or blurred.... too bad.[/quote]

You might try asking a question at Forums : The Official Microsoft Silverlight Site. There may be some configration setting you could try.

Joe
    Joe