4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I find myself needing to completely replace our firm's existing backup method and system. Up to this point we've been using Computer Associates Brightstor Arcserve software to backup our servers to old Sony AIT-2 and AIT-3 drives. I've had to replace the drives more and more often as they fail, the tapes are going bad on me now, and the software is past it's end of life with the vendor. In other words, I'm in a pickle. So many other distractions and projects the last couple of years keeps pushing this to the back burner but that's simple got to change.

It's my understanding a lot of the other law firms have moved to a method where their software backs up to an external hard drive at night then during the day software backs up the external hard drives to a jukebox or library of tapes that then go offsite at night. I assume in a rotation much like I've been doing up to now. Most law firms haven't moved to online backup solutions out of concern that their sentitive, confidential data might be exposed or lost. This firm is terribly conservative so I highly doubt they will even consider it.

I don't care for Iomega because I've had bad experiences with their customer support. I'm not locked into keeping the Computer Associates software either. The software itself is complex and no user friendly and I absolutely hate how they completely change the names of their products ever other year. Their website and support is overly complex too.

I'm sure hope someone on this forum can point in directions where to start. What has worked for your company and what hasn't.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='ailios' post='784004' date='10-Jul-2009 10:32']I find myself needing to completely replace our firm's existing backup method and system. Up to this point we've been using Computer Associates Brightstor Arcserve software to backup our servers to old Sony AIT-2 and AIT-3 drives. I've had to replace the drives more and more often as they fail, the tapes are going bad on me now, and the software is past it's end of life with the vendor. In other words, I'm in a pickle. So many other distractions and projects the last couple of years keeps pushing this to the back burner but that's simple got to change.

I'm sure hope someone on this forum can point in directions where to start. What has worked for your company and what hasn't.[/quote]

1.) Are you only backing up servers?
    2.) Do you need to backup Exchange or SQL Server?
    3.) What about e-mail archiving and retention?
    4.) Do you use SharePoint?
    5.) What are your budgetary restrictions?

We've used Backup Exec: Data Backup, System Protection, Windows System Recovery | Symantec for a long time. It is not cheap but is good.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried to use Netvault backup software from Bakbone?They have trial software you can try before buying it.Hope this helps,Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Depending on the size of your files needing back-up, there are external hard drives like Western Digital My Book and programs like Memeo Backup which will auto-backup your files. Some hard drive manufactures include back-up software. I use Western Digital My Book Essential - you can get one with 1 TB of memory for under $100. Hope this is useful.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We use symantec netbackup in work here, it backs up both servers (overnight) and I also use the DLO agent to backup laptops and critical machines on a constant run which is transferred to the servers whenever they are connected to the network.

The main backup server is based in our Antwerp office ( I am in the UK) which controls all the jobs and schedules etc, the local tape drives are used to backup to - so 11 servers in the UK office get backed up to three drives attached to servers here, for the laptops (they do a local backup on the machine itself) is then transferred to a server here and that in turn is backed up overnight.
    Rgds

Paul C

If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all!

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

HaHaHa - 10 hours after registering and I just realised I had my corporate work head on while I registered as I did my work style Surname Firstname way of entering my name - doh!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We ended up buying a Tandberg StorageLoader LTO-4 and Symantec Backup Exec. I'll be added a few workstations in administration with DLO soon. Not sure about intelligent disaster recovery (IDR) option yet. May add next year. There was a learning curve adjusting to a storageloader and new software but it's been worth it. So glad we made the move away from Computer Associates.
    Daisy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ailios,
    I used four different tape drives and three different versions of BE for years to backup our servers. However two years ago I bit the bullet and went with Microsofts "data protection manager 2007". Have never been sorry. It does full backup to an external SAN at 8PM and incremental backyp of all shares and sytem state every 15 minutes. Seven windows servers with one (LTO3 tape drive 800MB). SAN is approaching 1.3TB after two years, plenty of room left as it still has 700GB left.
    Tape goes to bank box on Monday. Currently using 16 tapes, one per week for 12 weeks before rotating back to number one and one every quarter for a year.

You didn't mention how many servers but if you grow, consider this option.

PS I hate promoting MS though, but it eseems they are doing things right lately.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    LTO4 is the right way to go, they are as fast as a hard disk and a library makes it really easy to manage tapes. I can't say the same about Backup Exec. It is flakey and cumbersome and searching for files to restore is a nightmare, but it does work.

Make sure you barcode label the tapes before use and let BE name them automatically. This means the tape name is the same as the barcode label and you don't have several bits of paper on each tape describing what and when.
    It is also not necessary to partition the library, just use media sets and let the library manage the slots.
    Always put a cleaning tape in the last slot and mark the slot as Cleaning Media. Then when the tape drive needs cleaning you can right click on the drive and select Clean. Note: do NOT inventory the cleaning tape, it will clean the drive. Note2: Do NOT clean the drive unless the library says it needs cleaning.

The optimum backup is first to tape, then duplicate the backup and send the duplicate off site. Easy to restore, secure if the place burns down.
    With this method you can set a 2 week expiry on the tapes that remain on-site and never expire the tape you send off-site.

BTW if you are just backing up data you don't need to buy a BE agent. Set up a share at the root of the drive and point BE at it. Note: It wont backup in use files without an agent.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, met the similiar question as ailios.
    Our company recently really needs a third-party software to help managing the SQL and Exchange stuff. Database and sql stuff are always tough question to me. Not everyone is born to be a computer expert! It's a small-sized company. We can't afford too much. I searched a lot those days. And finally decided on Easeus advacned server. Does anyone have any idea about it?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Easus seems good but I've not used it. You could use one of the freeware products like Amanda Backup. There is always Windows 7 backup if the box is 2008 R2.
    SQL can be backed up to disk using the in-built maintenance tasks, then pick up the disk files. If you need to restore the latest backup is always immediately to hand - on disk.
    Same for Exchange, but use Windows NTBACKUP wihich will use VSS to pick up the live database.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Easus seems good but I've not used it.
    The recommendation would be more credible if it came from another user: softlover has linked to an Easeus web site or download in every single one of their posts.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Picky! ;-))