Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    There's an article here about DiskJunction http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347491,00.asp.

If I'm understanding this, isn't this nothing more that a substitute for mapping a drive or SUBST?

I don't see what I'm missing here, but everyone's all excited about what it does.

If anyone could clarify, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Mapping applies to folders only. A symbolic link can be to a file or to a folder.
    So you could place symbolic links to a file that you frequently use in several folders. This would make the file appear to be in several places at once.

See Symbolic link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='784052' date='10-Jul-2009 13:14']Mapping applies to folders only. A symbolic link can be to a file or to a folder.
    So you could place symbolic links to a file that you frequently use in several folders. This would make the file appear to be in several places at once.

See Symbolic link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/quote]

So then SymLinks are a substitute for *both* shortcuts and mapping? Also, that writing stated:

Hard links may not normally point to directories and they can not link paths on different volumes. Symbolic links may point to any file or directory irrespective of the volumes on which the source and destination reside.

But I mapped letters to different volumes and then was able to have shortcuts to files there.

?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Symbolic links are more "transparent" than shortcuts. To anything except special editors such as DiskJunction they are indistinguishable from regular files and folders.

If you are satisfied with your mappings and shortcuts, I see no pressing reason why you'd use symbolic links; it might be safer to leave them alone.

Happy birthday, by the way!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='784059' date='10-Jul-2009 15:37']So then SymLinks are a substitute for *both* shortcuts and mapping? Also, that writing stated:

Hard links may not normally point to directories and they can not link paths on different volumes. Symbolic links may point to any file or directory irrespective of the volumes on which the source and destination reside.

But I mapped letters to different volumes and then was able to have shortcuts to files there.[/quote]

I'm unclear as to why you posted this in the beta forum. Symlinks are nothing new and certainly not unique to Win7. Try reading some of the links at disk junction - Microsoft TechNet Search and disk junction - MSDN Search.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='784062' date='10-Jul-2009 13:49']Symbolic links are more "transparent" than shortcuts. To anything except special editors such as DiskJunction they are indistinguishable from regular files and folders.

If you are satisfied with your mappings and shortcuts, I see no pressing reason why you'd use symbolic links; it might be safer to leave them alone.

Happy birthday, by the way![/quote]

Hans,

Well, thanks ...and *thank you*, by the way!

You know me...I'm always meddling... I like the idea of "one size fits all" in the mappings/shortcuts deal. Also, mappings have been satisfactory, but not perfect.

So SymLinks would be "hard-wired" connections so that your system, if you set up, say three SymLinks to the same folder or file, would see it as three copies of the folder or file? Sort of the opposite of the purpose for shortcuts, isn't it?

Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='784063' date='10-Jul-2009 13:54']I'm unclear as to why you posted this in the beta forum. Symlinks are nothing new and certainly not unique to Win7. Try reading some of the links at disk junction - Microsoft TechNet Search and disk junction - MSDN Search.

Joe[/quote]

Joe, I suppose I did because I'd be using it on Windows 7 (beta), which may or may not be the same as prior versions, yes?

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='784068' date='10-Jul-2009 16:08']Joe, I suppose I did because I'd be using it on Windows 7 (beta), which may or may not be the same as prior versions, yes?[/quote]

I'm sure that Disk Junctions are the same.

I looked at them several years ago and could not come up with a good reason to use them in what I do. I suppose I agree with Hans if what you are doing now works well for you there is no compelling reason to change.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Think of it as the way Windows handles some special folders: your desktop is the root (top) of everything in Windows Explorer, but is also a folder named Desktop under your profile. Similarly, your (My) Documents folder is listed directly under the desktop, but also as Chuck's Documents, and as a folder in your profile.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='784070' date='10-Jul-2009 14:10']Think of it as the way Windows handles some special folders: your desktop is the root (top) of everything in Windows Explorer, but is also a folder named Desktop under your profile. Similarly, your (My) Documents folder is listed directly under the desktop, but also as Chuck's Documents, and as a folder in your profile.[/quote]

And is it (are they) SymLinks that MS has set up to enable backward compatibility (My Documents versus Documents)?

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Items such as Desktop and Documents are rooted deeply into the design of Windows - I don't know how exactly the operating system handles them.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='784074' date='10-Jul-2009 14:25']Items such as Desktop and Documents are rooted deeply into the design of Windows - I don't know how exactly the operating system handles them.[/quote]

But is the "Documents and Settings" just a shortcut, or is that a SymLink -- which is why "older software" wouldn't recognize it as "different"?

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know how Windows works under the hood, Chuck, I'm just an end user. Perhaps someone else can fill you in on the technical details.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='784078' date='10-Jul-2009 14:38']I don't know how Windows works under the hood, Chuck, I'm just an end user. Perhaps someone else can fill you in on the technical details.[/quote]

OK, thanks Hans.

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='784076' date='10-Jul-2009 16:34']But is the "Documents and Settings" just a shortcut, or is that a SymLink -- which is why "older software" wouldn't recognize it as "different"?[/quote]

That is a question better asked at a Microsoft forum.

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast