Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't want to clutter up Silver Fox's thread at Post 784210 so I'll ask this in a separate thread. What do the majority of you Loungers do with the UFOs and garbage that Secunia poses as a problem? Some time ago I gave up an the program as being more of a hassle than it's worth and I wonder if others feel the same way.

Using the example of "end of life" rather than security risks because it's a lot less stuff, I get reports from Secunia that are a real pain. It allegedly finds stuff that's in my software download folder from some older version. So, who cares? I usually go to the software download folder and delete whichever file it's complaining about if I know it's old and will never be used again, but gimme a break - why doesn't the program look for INSTALLED stuff and not just a file that's sitting somewhere on my hard drive? In the attached example, Windows XP Prefetch is one of those sitting in my software download folder!

In the case of Macromedia Flash Player, I have the LATEST version installed and whatever it's complaining about, it takes me to the C:\i386 folder. What the @#$%^& am I supposed to do about that? I have no earthly idea WHICH file in that folder it doesn't like nor whether I should delete the whole folder or not.

The simple one in my example is the Jasc Animation Shop entry. I KNOW that one is old and I'll risk it for the occasional time or two that I run the program.

I've all but given up on the usefulness of PSI and I AM a pretty experienced user - not an EXPERT, but pretty experienced.

[attachment=84674:2009_07_12_173511.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can tell PSI to ignore such programs:
    - Click on the program or on the + to the left of it.
    - Click "Ignore Program".
    - Confirm when asked to do so.

[attachment=84675:x.png]

If you ever want to undo this, activate the Settings tab. You can delete Ignore Rules at the bottom of the tab page.
    • File Type: png x.png (17.1 KB, 0 views)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='784256' date='12-Jul-2009 16:58']I've all but given up on the usefulness of PSI and I AM a pretty experienced user - not an EXPERT, but pretty experienced.[/quote]

At the bottom of the Settings tab you can setup rules about folders and files to skip. That may help.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='784260' date='12-Jul-2009 18:16']At the bottom of the Settings tab you can setup rules about folders and files to skip. That may help.[/quote]
    I hate to say this, but I think you and Hans are too "forgiving" or tolerant of this program's usefulness to an average user. So, now I'll show you what it reports as "insecure" on my system!

There are, as you can see, several DUPLICATE entries on there which all lead to the same folder, respectively. Huh?

I am running Firefox 3.5, NOT 3.0 as shown. I am running Thunderbird 2.0.0.22 rather than the version shown!

A user shouldn't have to go through all these hoops to check on the "security" of his system.

[attachment=84676:2009_07_12_182323.png]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The duplicate entries usually point to different files - for example an .exe vs a .dll, or two different .exe files. But I do agree with you that the list is confusing to the average Windows user, and that Secunia might add more "intelligence" to its scanning algorithm.

Entries such as Firefox 3.0.x *may* indicate that some components of the older version have been left behind after installing the newer one.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I forgot to add that I'm running the latest Adobe Reader as near as I can tell.

[attachment=84677:2009_07_12_183337.png]

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='784256' date='12-Jul-2009 17:58']Some time ago I gave up an the program as being more of a hassle than it's worth and I wonder if others feel the same way.

I've all but given up on the usefulness of PSI and I AM a pretty experienced user - not an EXPERT, but pretty experienced.[/quote]
    I agree with you Al. I also gave up on this program because I thought it didn't really update it's own results and tests. For example, it would state that a certain program version was outdated and a newer version was available. I would update it and reboot and run Secunia again and it would STILL show that the same program was using the older version and offer to update it again. How many times do you have to do this before it shows the correct results?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I really like Secunia PSI and make sure that it always shows 100% green on all my PCs.
    I exclude my download folders from its scans.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I am about to dump it, on every start up there is a message that there is a update available, will will NOT install.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.