Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The Word global template path location is set to :

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\CorrsGlobal

My powerpoint templates are also located in this directory.

Ive renamed our company powerpoint template to Blank.pot. Therefore on powerpoint Open or New it calls our powerpoint template.

We have created a new standard environment image. It has the same directory setup location and templates.

When I launch powerpoint our powerpoint template is called.

However when I goto File, New a blank template is called.

Ive investigated and no Blank Presenation.pot exists on the hard drive.

the only change I can think of is a powerpoint add-in has been created using the microsoft blank.pot template. However Ive also removed this new add-in and there is no difference ie on File, New the default blank template appear not our company template

question:
    1. With powerpoint, how can I determine the template its created from eg. in Word you can goto Tools, Templates and Add-ins.
    2. Is there a registry setting that sets the powerpoint templates?

note: no powerpoint templates exist under my profile

any ideas?

diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    A Word document is always connected to a template. By default, this is the template it was created from. The document has access to the macros and autotext entries of the template (these are not stored in the document itself).

A PowerPoint presentation doesn't have any connection to the template it was created from - it is a copy of the template. For example if the template contains macros, these will be in the presentation too.

All Office applications share the same user templates and group templates folders.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    when I use the shortcut key Ctrl+N - it opens a new document based on my template

If I use either the menu File Open, or the icon New - the default blank microsoft powerpoint template created.

Ive created an add-in based on my template but I get the same result - the default blank microsoft powerpoint template is created.

isthe add-in be based on the default micrsoft template?

any ideas?

dd

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In PowerPoint 2002 and 2003, there is by default no File | New menu item, but an item File | New... that activates the New Presentation task pane.
    However, if I customize the menu and add File | New, this also creates a presentation based on blank.pot, just like pressing Ctrl+N and clicking the New button on the toolbar.
    I don't know how your add-in works.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    i thought the issue may be due to the add-in we created as teh add-in may have been created from the default blank microsoft template.

Is creating and running the code the same in powerpoint as in Word.

Therefore if I customise and create a File, New menu or icon on standard toolbar - it will run my code?

Ive created an AutoExec and AutoNew...will this also work?

In my Blank.pot template I have a main sub

Sub main

dim strPath as string

'strPath = get and set oath here
    strPath = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\Corrs\Blank.pot "
    Presentations.Open strPath, untitled:=msoTrue
    end sub

also can I customise my New document and icon and drag and drop my code onto the Powerpoint File menu?

diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It doesn't matter what template an add-in has been created from, as the add-in itself is not used to create new presentations from.

PowerPoint does not have AutoOpen, AutoExec etc. If you want the add-in to run some code automatically, you must create a macro named Auto_Open with an underscore _ between Auto and Open. See Create an ADD-IN with TOOLBARS that run macros.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to add to Hans' answer. Auto_Open will ONLY run from an AddIn (.ppa) file.

The best solution is probably to make an Add In that traps the NewPresentation event and applies / opens the correct template.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Under Tools, Customize, Commands - I discovered 2 new menu icons

The 1st New icon - creates a new blank file
    The 2nd New icon - creates a new blank file based on the default template

If I customize and drag and drop the 2nd New icon onto the Standard toolbar, and the File menu. The result it calls our company powerpoint template.

With powerpoint can you customise the menus?
    In Word you can drag and drop icons onto the template and place template in the default startup path?

is it the same method for powerpoint?

Many thanks

diana
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Look very carefully - does the New... button really create a blank new presentation? It should display the New Presentation task pane. If it really does create a blank presentation, there must either be an add-in that causes that, or there is something wrong with your PowerPoint installation.

Unlike Word, PowerPoint does *not* store customizations to menus and toolbars in a template; they are stored in a user-level settings file. The only way to share customizations is through an add-in. See the link in my previous reply.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    If I click on the first - orginal new button, a default presentation displays. (see screen capture)

There are no add-ins loaded. It maybe the new upgraded version of document management system which is controlling powerpoint in some way...which means more research for me
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I would indeed suspect the document management system...