5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the second time in a year, I have an Excel app that suddenly starts with the following dialog box popping up:

"This application is about to initialize ActiveX controls that might be unsafe. If you trust the source of this file, select OK and the controls will be initialized using your current workspace settings."

- If I disable the VBA code in my WorkBook; I don't get this dialog.
    - If I enable VBA I always get the dialog
    - The dialog suddenly appeared when I was developing the sheet (do'nt know when)
    - If I get the dialog and choose "Cancel" i.s.o. "OK", everything still works fine (!); it seems nothing is disabled
    - I checked the References in VBA vs. several other Excel sheet I'm running: I cannot find a reference that might trigger this

Microsoft says something about a similar message but they basically indicate that to get rid of the message, one should make changes to the registry...

I don't want to hide it, I want to understand where it comes from so I can get rid of it.

Anyone with an idea? In the mean time, I'll try to do a VBA Code cleanup. UPDATE: Does not help

Mystery: When the dialog shows up; at the same time (reproducible!) a totally unrelated shortcut (just one and always the same one) on my desktop changes it's location on my screen... If I then re-set it to it's normal location, and then close my Excel workbook; as soon as I andwer "No" on "Do you want to save this file"; the shortcut moves again....????

Update2: forget about the mystery and it's relation to the ActiveX message: It happens with all sheets???

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if it is possible to understand this. Excel seems to become confused about macro/ActiveX content at the drop of a hat. I frequently get warnings that a workbook contains macros or ActiveX controls while I am absolutely sure they don't - I created the workbook myself and only added a few formulas.

So modifying the registry might be the best you can do (You are prompted to grant permission for ActiveX Controls when you open an Office XP or Office 2003 document).
    Or say a few medieval incantations while waving a garlic necklace over your computer (See post #6 in Excel2003 annoying ActiveX and trusted source pop-up on MrExcel)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='784347' date='13-Jul-2009 16:30']I don't know if it is possible to understand this. Excel seems to become confused about macro/ActiveX content at the drop of a hat. I frequently get warnings that a workbook contains macros or ActiveX controls while I am absolutely sure they don't - I created the workbook myself and only added a few formulas.

So modifying the registry might be the best you can do (You are prompted to grant permission for ActiveX Controls when you open an Office XP or Office 2003 document).
    Or say a few medieval incantations while waving a garlic necklace over your computer (See post #6 in Excel2003 annoying ActiveX and trusted source pop-up on MrExcel)[/quote]

Thanks Hans, I'll bring some garlic from home tomorrow, see if that helps ...

Anyway, the mystery of the moving shortcut is now decoupled from Excel: If I right click my desktop and choose "Refresh" it jumps already (probably, Excel refreshes somehow during loading of a file?). Yes, "Auto Arrange" is OFF and "Align to grid" is on.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ErikJan' post='784349' date='13-Jul-2009 16:37']Thanks Hans, I'll bring some garlic from home tomorrow, see if that helps ...

Anyway, the mystery of the moving shortcut is now decoupled from Excel: If I right click my desktop and choose "Refresh" it jumps already (probably, Excel refreshes somehow during loading of a file?). Yes, "Auto Arrange" is OFF and "Align to grid" is on.[/quote]

The mystery icon-movement is no longer happening... I uninstalled some video capture software and rebooted (twice, one after a crash); now it's gone.

I forgot the garlic; whenever I find a solution to the ActiveX message I'll report back here.