New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if this is the correct forum, so please move if you need to. Not sure if it is a software problem or a hardware problem.

Working on a Dell 1501. Friend started to notice that when she typed, that there was a lag between the time she typed and it appeared in Word and Outlook. She gave me the computer to try to resolve the problem after she ran the restore disc and performance did not improve.

I installed Ubuntu, latest version, and could enter text in email and Openoffice without any lag. Programs like Songbird ran without problems.

I then re-installed XP from restore disc and did all updates. Installed Office 07.

Once again there is a lag between the time a key is pressed and what you see it on screen in Outlook and Word. For example, if I type 'example' the first two letters may appear and then there is a pause before the last four characters appear. Have also noticed that when I attempt to pause a song in iTunes there is a delay in the stopping of the song.

Because I did not have any problems in Ubuntu, other than finding some drivers, I don't think it is a hardware problem. Is it possible that there are problems with the restore disc? I haven't tried to install my own XP as I thought that the best approach would be to use the restore procedures.

The more I re-read this, I believe it is a operating system problem. Lost and looking for suggestions as to what to do.

Thanks.

Thanks
    [quote name='northernhillbilly' post='784415' date='13-Jul-2009 19:02']Working on a Dell 1501. Friend started to notice that when she typed, that there was a lag between the time she typed and it appeared in Word and Outlook.[/quote]
    I don't know what the cause of this is in your case, but this Google search brings up many similar problems and possible solutions. Perhaps one of the suggestions there will resolve the problem.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='784416' date='13-Jul-2009 19:25']I don't know what the cause of this is in your case, but this Google search brings up many similar problems and possible solutions. Perhaps one of the suggestions there will resolve the problem.[/quote]

I have tried numerous suggestion from the Google searches. Nothing seems to work. Will keep on trying and if I find a solution I will post it.

Just wanted to let the forum know that I found the solution after much searching on Google. There was a suggestion to take the battery out if it was not charging completely due to the number of times it had been recharged. Tried it and the problem with the delay in typing has disappeared

Have no idea about the relationship between a poor battery and my problem, but removing the battery solved the problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='northernhillbilly' post='784978' date='16-Jul-2009 15:06']I have tried numerous suggestion from the Google searches. Nothing seems to work. Will keep on trying and if I find a solution I will post it.[/quote]

1.) Are you device drivers up-to-date?
    2.) What XP service pack is installed?
    3.) Is Office up-to-date with service packs & patches?
    4.) Have you used anything like Task Manager to see if there is any process counsuming your CPU?
    5.) What A/V do you have running?
    6.) Any other anti-malware software running?

Joe
    Joe