3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm working in both Excel and Word, and using paste special>Excel document command to paste Excel charts into Word reports. I've had no problems until the other day. I am now encountering the following Excel security notice (with an orange shiled icon in the upper-left corner of the pop up) whenever I try to paste an Excel chart into Word:

MS Office has identified a potential security concern
    File Path: Book4 (or anyother Excel workbook number I'm working in)

Data connections have been blocked. If you choose to enable data conncetions, your computer may no longer be seucre. Don not enable this content unless you trust the source of this file.

There's an Enable and Disable button. I can of course choose Enable, but this is a hassle, since this warning pops up everytime I work between Excel and Word. It's likely that some macro security setting or settings have been changed, but I don't know what.
    Is this a recent security update setting to MS Office? Until recently, I have not been prompted for every paste action I make when working between Office applications (i.e., pasting an Excel chart into a Word document). While I can appreciate security concerns, it's really a bit annoying to be prompted each time I need to paste. I might make 50 or more paste actions during the course of an average workday, so all these permission boxes for each Excel book (multiple ones within a single spreadsheet, too) ad up.

My settings for data connections are default middle: Prompt user about Data Connnections and are the same for Security settings fro Workbook Links: Prompt user on automatic update for Workbook links.

As far as I know, I've always used these settings, but it's only been recently that I am prompted with an Enable permission pop-up window for pasting between Office applications.

Is there an optimal setting that doesn't relax security too much but that allows me to work within Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) on my work server without continuous warning prompts?

Thanks.

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='784515' date='14-Jul-2009 07:48']My settings for data connections are default middle: Prompt user about Data Connnections and are the same for Security settings fro Workbook Links: Prompt user on automatic update for Workbook links.

As far as I know, I've always used these settings, but it's only been recently that I am prompted with an Enable permission pop-up window for pasting between Office applications.[/quote]
    It sounds as though the feature wasn't working before, and now it is.

If you are only working on your own documents for a period and not opening third party documents, you could relax the global setting during that time so you are not prompted. Then you could return it to the Prompt setting for increased safety.

Where are the documents located? Just wondering whether this feature behaves differently when the two documents are on a local drive versus one or both on the network.

I would think that if you pasted the Excel chart as a picture, you wouldn't get the prompt. Have you tried that, or is it necessary to paste the chart as an OLE object?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='ben000' post='784515' date='14-Jul-2009 09:48']I'm working in both Excel and Word, and using paste special>Excel document command to paste Excel charts into Word reports. I've had no problems until the other day. I am now encountering the following Excel security notice (with an orange shiled icon in the upper-left corner of the pop up) whenever I try to paste an Excel chart into Word:

MS Office has identified a potential security concern
    File Path: Book4 (or anyother Excel workbook number I'm working in)

Data connections have been blocked. If you choose to enable data conncetions, your computer may no longer be seucre. Don not enable this content unless you trust the source of this file.

There's an Enable and Disable button. I can of course choose Enable, but this is a hassle, since this warning pops up everytime I work between Excel and Word. It's likely that some macro security setting or settings have been changed, but I don't know what.
    Is this a recent security update setting to MS Office? Until recently, I have not been prompted for every paste action I make when working between Office applications (i.e., pasting an Excel chart into a Word document). While I can appreciate security concerns, it's really a bit annoying to be prompted each time I need to paste. I might make 50 or more paste actions during the course of an average workday, so all these permission boxes for each Excel book (multiple ones within a single spreadsheet, too) ad up.

My settings for data connections are default middle: Prompt user about Data Connnections and are the same for Security settings fro Workbook Links: Prompt user on automatic update for Workbook links.

As far as I know, I've always used these settings, but it's only been recently that I am prompted with an Enable permission pop-up window for pasting between Office applications.

Is there an optimal setting that doesn't relax security too much but that allows me to work within Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) on my work server without continuous warning prompts?

Thanks.[/quote]

Can you add the workbook location to your Trusted Locations in the Trust Center?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to allow the work server, which is where I do all my work from (though I often save locally, too), to be part of my trust center so I don't keep getting security prompts. What's the process for enabling that? And is it advisable or sensible to do so?

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='784560' date='14-Jul-2009 13:46']I'd like to allow the work server, which is where I do all my work from (though I often save locally, too), to be part of my trust center so I don't keep getting security prompts. What's the process for enabling that? And is it advisable or sensible to do so?[/quote]

1.) Add to trust center - open the options for the product involved (office orb then at the bottom of the panel) then select Trust Center | Trust Center Settings | Trusted Locations. Add a new location.
    2.) NOTE: at the bottom of the page - a checkbox to allow network locations and it says not recommended. Only you can decide whether or not it is advisable in your circumstances. IMO, a network location is quite possibly less secure than your own PC as the network location is most likely available to other users who may not be a trustworthy as you.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks

all the folks at my job who are on the network connection are trustworthy, so did you mean that there's a high probability of someone else (hacker?) accessing the network?

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='784725' date='15-Jul-2009 09:44']all the folks at my job who are on the network connection are trustworthy, so did you mean that there's a high probability of someone else (hacker?) accessing the network?[/quote]

Not really. I don't know enough to comment on the state of your network security. If you are confident of its security and the trustworthiness of the users then go for it.

Joe
    Joe