New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

Help! I opened a document from my email, it opened into Word(2003), starting making edits but when I saved it I didn't change the folder. Now it's gone. I attempted to retrace my steps by returning to my email. I opened up the original doc & choose save as in order to trace the folder location. The default folder was basically ...Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\... I couldn't view in explorer so I unhide all my system files & folders. I can now see all my subfolders; however, it's still not there, only copies of the original document time stamped from when I reopened it to find the default save location. I know I should have changed the folder when I saved it but I was being... well, lazy. I would even be happy recovery a *.txt file with partial edits.

Any chance I can recover my 3 hrs of work?

Jacque

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You should be able to recover the document.

Is it listed in the recently used documents in the File menu?

If not:
    Select Start | Run... in Windows.
    Type regedit and press Enter.
    Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\O utlook\Security.
    When you click on the Security key, you should see OutlookSecureTempFolder in the right hand pane.
    Double-click on OutlookSecureTempFolder.
    Press Ctrl+C to copy the string, which should look like C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK12\ but the part after OLK will probably be different.
    Close the dialog without changing anything.

Now start Windows Explorer.
    If you don't see the address bar at the top below the toolbar, select View | Toolbars | Address Bar.
    Click in the address bar and press Ctrl+V to paste the string that you copied from RegEdit.
    Press Enter.
    Your document should be in this folder.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's not in either folder. I can't find anything. This isn't looking good is it?

Jacque

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's not in the OutlookSecureTempFolder, you do have a problem - that's where Outlook stores attachments that are opened from within an e-mail message.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, I wasn't using Outlook, I opened it from my external email document storage. Does this increase the chances of me recovering it?

Jacque

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    There might be a copy in your Temp folder, or perhaps in your browser's cache, but don't get your hopes up high...