Star Lounger
    Thanks

Put item in TOC but not show up in text (Word2000)

Problem: User needs to put an item in TOC, but he doesn't want the "title" to show up in the text, only in the TOC.

I have tried:
    1. Using a style with hidden text - but then the TOC wouldn't pick it up, even if I made sure that the relevant TOC style was not hidden
    2. Put the text and style into a header (acceptable to the user), but the TOC wouldn't pick up items from header (and it even makes sense)
    3. Use a TC field - but I couldn't get the TOC to take one level from styles and another from fields, and I am too reluctant/lazy to change the whole document (over 80 pages, each a separate section with heading styles) into fields instead of styles.

Does anyone know of a trick I can use to give the user what he wants with minimum hassle?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Put item in TOC but not show up in text (Word2000)

Hmmm - that's a difficult one, bearing in mind that the TOC feature is designed to index text, not have additional bits in it. I can think of two getarounds, neither are perfect, but I don't think there will be an 'official' way to do it.

The first is just to type the item manually, but it will only stay there as long as when updating you only choose the 'update page numbers only' option; if you 'update entire table' it will vanish and have to be re-entered.

The second, and I think much better (especially if you want a page number against it) is to change the text colour for the entry in the document white; makes it invisible and effectively not there. It will then appear in the TOC (still white), but changing it to black on the odd occasions when you have to 'update entire table' will be much easier than retyping it.

However, I'm new to Word2000 (used 97 until recently) and there might be a better way, if anyone knows it?

HTH
    Beryl M

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you ever so much.

Your white text idea works fine. I'm actually blushing, because it's a variation on my hidden text idea which was didn't work - I should have thought of it myself.

You have made a user very happy and saved me a couple of hours of manual labor.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Beryl,

I don't understand the part of your answer about appearing in the TOC still white. I tried your suggestion in Word 2000. Typed my headers. Created TOC. Fine so far. Changed the style of the Heading 1 format to white font. Headers "disappear" but TOC still OK in black. Added a new Heading 1 (typing carefully). Showed up in my TOC fine and "invisible" in the doc.

Perhaps 2 small enhancements:
    - make the point size for the header styles small so they don't take up a lot of space when invisible.
    - maybe type the intended header as a new paragraph (with Normal style) first so you can see the words; then apply the Heading style to turn invisible.

Fred