Thread: Fixed Numbers

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I change auto numbers to fixed numbers in a Word 2003 document? I tried selecting the automatic number (field?) and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F11 (per Word's Help), but that does not work.

Regards,

Dea Friloux

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Dea,

Don't recall whether there is such a command or not, but you can do it with the following line of code:

Code:
    ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
    Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='dfriloux' post='784630' date='14-Jul-2009 19:40']How do I change auto numbers to fixed numbers in a Word 2003 document? I tried selecting the automatic number (field?) and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F11 (per Word's Help), but that does not work.

Regards,

Dea Friloux[/quote]
    Press ALT+F11 to display the VBA immediate window. Type

ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText

and press ENTER. All of the autonumbered text (numbered lists, outline numbered lists, and LISTNUM fields) will lose their numbering "coding" and the currently displayed numbers will be converted to plain text.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Automatic numbering created by using a style with numbering or by applying Format | Bullets and Numbering does not use fields, so Ctrl+Shift+F11 doesn't help.

The line of code mentioned by Gary and Pam is the only way - there is no command in Word's interface to do this.

Thanks
    [quote name='dfriloux' post='784630' date='15-Jul-2009 00:40']How do I change auto numbers to fixed numbers in a Word 2003 document? I tried selecting the automatic number (field?) and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F11 (per Word's Help), but that does not work.

Regards,

Dea Friloux[/quote]
    I remember asking about this in the Lounge about 3 years ago, and Hans provided me with a somewhat similar answer. I have a macro like this

Code:
    Sub List_convert()
    '
    ' List_convert Macro
    ' Macro created 9/23/2006 by Ian Wilson
    '
    Selection.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToText
    End Sub
    and I created a button to go on my toolbar to run it. Whenever I want to convert an automatically numbered list to plain text numbers I select the list and click the button. It works brilliantly.

[attachment=84707:List_con...t_button.jpg]

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images