Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Guys, Have a question regarding M.S updates that M.S. is currently offering and saying I need.
    The first one is KB973346 which is for active x killbits. How or what is the difference of this one versus
    the one's Woody advises to avoid ---- KB969898 and or KB960715.
    Also, M.S. says I need KB961371 and KB971633. What might these be? Are any of these safe to install or
    should I avoid any or all of them?
    I came here to ask about this 'cuz I know you guys will have the answers I'm looking for with all your
    brilliant minds.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can find descriptions of each of these updates by searching Google (or Bing) for KB973346 etc.
    KB973346 protects against malicious use of the Microsoft Video ActiveX control in a web page. The other two protect against security problems with DirectShow and OpenType - all very technical stuff.

I have installed all updates for this month without problems.

I'd go ahead and install them too. A system restore point will be created automatically before the updates are installed, so you can always go back if necessary.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='texian1836' post='784674' date='15-Jul-2009 07:41'][/quote]
    Also, when I go to the Windows update pages, I always choose "Custom" and the list of available updates allows you to read a short blurb about what that KB is intended to fix. Would that help you any?

[attachment=84711:2009_07_15_081744.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys for your prompt responses. generally I try to research the KB's prior to installing
    or anything else, but most of the time when I do the tech language is usually all "greek" to me.
    The active x killbits was the one I wasn't certain about, being that of Woody's advice to avoid kb969898 and
    960715 which are also for killbits.
    Hans, you sound confident in your reply, so I will go ahead with your advice and install.
    BigAl, as for what you said, that's usually what I do but as I said the explanations are usually "greek" to me
    and over my head. That's why I came to you guys with all your expertise and brilliant minds I know I can
    always get the answers I need.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"inquiring minds want to know"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='texian1836' post='784697' date='15-Jul-2009 08:48']Thanks Guys for your prompt responses.[/quote]
    And I blushed as I wrote that previous post for as you can see that I AM A FEW behind in my updating!