5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Word 2007, I want to turn on Keep Track of Formatting and Show Formatting Inconsistencies as a way of illustrating how much direct formatting has been applied to a document.

Show Formatting Inconsistencies is intended to indicate direct formatted text with a wavy purple underline. I don't see that in my document, although about 75% of the document is direct formatted. Every here and there it shows up on text that I add to the document, but the existing inconsistencies are unaffected. (The documents in question are very old... Word 2000, Word 6, Word 2. But newly created Word 2007 documents don't behave much differently in this regard.)

In previous versions of Word, the Style pane listed all of the variations as if they were actual styles. I'd see "Body Text + Bold", "Body Text + 1.5 Line Sp", etc. To display these styles, I would select "Formatting in Document." There doesn't seem to be a comparable feature in Word 2007. I've looked in the Manage Styles dialog, and I don't see anything that would display these "quasi" styles.

Without the purple wavy indicators, and without the list of styles + the direct formatting, Keep Track of Formatting doesn't seem to be helpful.

Have I missed something?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    To show all your direct formatting you could try...
    • Make a copy of your document
    • Reset all direct formatting by typing Control-A, then Control-Space, then Control-Q
    • Save this copy of the document
    • Use Compare and Merge documents to show the differences between this document and the original

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='richardbarrett' post='784710' date='15-Jul-2009 10:07']In Word 2007, I want to turn on Keep Track of Formatting and Show Formatting Inconsistencies as a way of illustrating how much direct formatting has been applied to a document.

Show Formatting Inconsistencies is intended to indicate direct formatted text with a wavy purple underline. I don't see that in my document, although about 75% of the document is direct formatted. Every here and there it shows up on text that I add to the document, but the existing inconsistencies are unaffected. (The documents in question are very old... Word 2000, Word 6, Word 2. But newly created Word 2007 documents don't behave much differently in this regard.)

In previous versions of Word, the Style pane listed all of the variations as if they were actual styles. I'd see "Body Text + Bold", "Body Text + 1.5 Line Sp", etc. To display these styles, I would select "Formatting in Document." There doesn't seem to be a comparable feature in Word 2007. I've looked in the Manage Styles dialog, and I don't see anything that would display these "quasi" styles.

Without the purple wavy indicators, and without the list of styles + the direct formatting, Keep Track of Formatting doesn't seem to be helpful.

Have I missed something?[/quote]

To see styles plus formatting in the styles pane, go to Styles pane > Options. Put checks before paragraph level formatting, font formatting, and/or bullet and numbering formatting.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I see those checkboxes are available only if Keep Track of Formatting is checked. That makes sense.

The wavy purple line doesn't seem to appear when it should. I have 3 paragraphs, all styled as Body Text. I have direct formatted the first with Bold, the 2nd as 14 point font, and the 3rd with underline and italic. Only the 1st (bold) gets the purple wavy line.

Do you know if there's a reason for this, or is it just "misbhaving"?

Richard