2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey! All you camera nuts - You have got to see this new item from Linksys/Cisco systems.

If you are like me you have a digital camera with lots of memory in it so that you can literally take hundreds of pictures at one time. The problem I run into is that at some point in time I need to get those pictures out of the camera and onto my computer.

There in lies the problem! First you have to find the data cable to connect to the computer (unless you have one of the new 'media drives' built in which allows you to take the memory card out of the camera and plug it directly into the computer). Then you have to wait for the computer to 'find' the new device connected to the computer. Then you have to decide what you want to do with the 'new' device and what application you want to use to get at the pictures. It is at this point that I seriously consider buying a new SD card!

Now all of that is about to change! Linksys/Cisco Systems has introduced a new line of SD memory cards for digital cameras that makes the upload/download process automatic. These new SD cards have a built in wi-fi capability that allows you to connect your camera wirelessly to your computer!

Check out this link and be sure to watch the video.

New SD memory card from Linksys

To find out if your camera is compatible with this new technology check out this link:

check camera compatibility

Here are some other capabilities that it offers:

Web sharing - Effortlessly uploads your photos to one of more than 20 photo sharing, printing, blogging and social networking sites.

Geo-tagging - Automatically adds geographic location tags (information) to photos (based on nearby Wi-Fi networks), so your memories are easier to search. this is great for when you are on vacation.

Hope you find this as interesting as I did.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

Thanks
    Sounds a great idea, but I hope they sort out UK pricing soon:

The Eye-Fi Home is listed on the Eye-Fi site at $49.99
    The same is listed on Amazon UK at 62.99 - equivalent to $103.30 at today's exchange rate of around 1.64!

Perhaps I should get into the import business!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MickeyMouse' post='784719' date='15-Jul-2009 10:33']Hey! All you camera nuts - You have got to see this new item from Linksys/Cisco systems.[/quote]
    I'm gonna take a chance and write this before I visit your links. I have several SDHC cards that I use for my camera and Treo smartphone. I know that SD and SDHC are not the same, but... I don't use the Windows popup asking what to do, nor do I use a camera cable. I have a pluggable card reader that gave me fits when I first bought it until I figured out that all I have to do is unplug and re-plug it when I get ready to use it and it hasn't failed to read a card ever since.

I also don't have a problem using Windows Explorer tu UPLOAD stuff from my camera or smartphone. Where I do have a significant problem is the SLOWNESS of the cards on DOWNLOADING material like music from the hard drive to the card. Even using TeraCopy there are often failures. I recently changed the folder structure on the card in my smartphone and had to leave the downloading for "overnight" processing it was taking so long.

If today's technology didn't require such devices as cards, thumb drives and the like, I wouldn't use them. NOW, let me go check out your links!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='784732' date='15-Jul-2009 10:54']Sounds a great idea, but I hope they sort out UK pricing soon:

The Eye-Fi Home is listed on the Eye-Fi site at $49.99
    The same is listed on Amazon UK at 62.99 - equivalent to $103.30 at today's exchange rate of around 1.64!

Perhaps I should get into the import business![/quote]

I could purchase them and mail them to you and I think it would still be less, even including the shipping. Unless I miss my guess, the $49.99 would be around 30, less than half the Amazon UK quoted price. Let me know how many you want.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"