Thread: ie8 download

New Lounger
    Thanks
    windows update wants me to download and install ie 8. I tried it, don't like it, and uninstalled it. how do i tell update NO-NOT NOW-NOT EVER!!!

thanks in advance!

nevillejames

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Go to Microsoft Update.
    When the page has loaded, click Custom.
    Microsoft Update will scan your computer to see which updates are relevant. This will take some time.
    Finally, you'll see a list of available updates, in several categories.
    Expand the entry for Internet Explorer 8 by clicking the + to the left of it.
    Tick the check box "Don't show this update again".
    Then click "Review and install updates" to save your choice. You don't need to finish installing if you don't want to.

If you ever change your mind, go to Microsoft Update again, click Custom, then click "Restore hidden updates" on the left hand side.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='784785' date='15-Jul-2009 18:32']Welcome to the Lounge!

Go to Microsoft Update.
    Microsoft Update will scan your computer to see which updates are relevant. This will take some time.
    Then click "Review and install updates" to save your choice. You don't need to finish installing if you don't want to.

If you ever change your mind, go to Microsoft Update again, click Custom, then click "Restore hidden updates" on the left hand side.[/quote]

thank you for the help!

nevillejames

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='784785' date='15-Jul-2009 18:32']Welcome to the Lounge!

Go to Microsoft Update.

If you ever change your mind, go to Microsoft Update again, click Custom, then click "Restore hidden updates" on the left hand side.[/quote]

Well---that didn't work. I'm in Vista (don't know if that matters), but the page that opens at microsoft update doesn't have a button or link for "custom". It shows a screen with the updates it found for my computer. Am I just missing it?

nevillejames

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The description I gave was for Windows XP. It's different in Windows Vista: right-click the IE8 update and select "Hide Update" from the popup menu.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='784838' date='16-Jul-2009 00:09']The description I gave was for Windows XP. It's different in Windows Vista: right-click the IE8 update and select "Hide Update" from the popup menu.[/quote]

thanks Hans -- my bad for not mentioning Vista the first time. I appreciate the help!

Nevillejames