Lounger
    Thanks
    (running Access 2007, SP1)

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of issues with Chart in 2007?

I'm trying to create an x-y chart from a query (sql statement as row source: SELECT [FYYear],[Series1] FROM [TFYAnalysisTemp] and as I'm designing the chart through the wizard, I can use the chart preview and I see the desired result.

However, once finishing the wizard the chart does not recognize the x-y structure of the data simply plots all data point on one x value, and considers each data point a different series.

Any help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have Access 2007 so I don't have any specific information.
    Have you installed Office 2007 SP2? It solves several problems from earlier releases.

You could try the following if the chart is on a form:
    - Set its Enabled property to Yes an its Locked property to No.
    - Switch to form view.
    - Double-click the chart.
    - Can you make the chart look the way you want?

If the chart is on a report, copy it to a form, repeat the above steps, and if you succeed, copy it back.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='784817' date='15-Jul-2009 20:36']I don't have Access 2007 so I don't have any specific information.
    Have you installed Office 2007 SP2? It solves several problems from earlier releases.

You could try the following if the chart is on a form:
    - Set its Enabled property to Yes an its Locked property to No.
    - Switch to form view.
    - Double-click the chart.
    - Can you make the chart look the way you want?

If the chart is on a report, copy it to a form, repeat the above steps, and if you succeed, copy it back.[/quote]

(It is on a form)

I cannot get it to do what I want (and I actually have a lot of experience doing complex graphs and charts with Access).

I have noticed (furthering my belief that something is wrong with Access) that when first creating the chart with the wizard, the interface is 'new' for 2007. However, when modifying the chart in design view (form), the old 2003 interface is displayed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Hopefully someone who has Access 2007 will react.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='bst73' post='784818' date='15-Jul-2009 14:42'](It is on a form)

I cannot get it to do what I want (and I actually have a lot of experience doing complex graphs and charts with Access).

I have noticed (furthering my belief that something is wrong with Access) that when first creating the chart with the wizard, the interface is 'new' for 2007. However, when modifying the chart in design view (form), the old 2003 interface is displayed.[/quote]
    There are no explicit fixes for Charts in Access 2007 SP2, but there is an interesting comment in the SP2 release info that indicates some significant changes were made to the Excel Charting capabilities to make it more compatible with 2003 Office 2007 SP2. Thus I would try installing SP2 and see what happens. I haven't found any significant problems with SP2 in our applications. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would take the tack of doing the form design work in 2003! I've had to resort to that approach more than once.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, so SP2 was installed and did not fix the chart issues.

Pasting the chart from Access 2003 works fine, but 2007 will not allow me to reproduce the chart. Again, the 'preview' chart is different from the chart it produces.

Is there a recommended means to contact Microsoft to tell them about such issues? (aside from simply repeating my posts on their chat board?)

Just imagine the loss of productive ability- had I not created the chart in 2003 a few months ago, it would never have been able to be created!!!

(Is there a general "I hate Microsoft" board where frustrated developers can rant??? I'm ready to switch careers as MS won't allow me to do my job...)

Just so some users can see what was/is possible with access and charts, the attached image shows the 2003 chart I was trying to recreate in 2007. It shows two distributions of data (for 2009 and 2010), with some calculated medians and how one data point (a country) moved within the distributions from one year to the next. With a little code and some buttons, users can analyze changes for different countries for different indicators.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='bst73' post='786568' date='28-Jul-2009 09:51']Ok, so SP2 was installed and did not fix the chart issues.[/quote]
    Can you provide us with some sample data for the table you are using as a data source? If necessary, change the field names to disquise the data, but a sample may help duplicate the problem. Thanks.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks
    Attached is the table (with some irrelevant fields removed) from which the graph is created. The table is updated via vba code dependent upon choices made by the user.

The end result, as depicted in the image above, is beyond the ability of the chart interface. Thus I recommend starting with a simple x-y scatter plot of [FYYear] and [Series]- this would result in the two distributions seen in the chart. Additional series can be added by editing the Row Source statement for the chart. The complete Row Source statement for the chart shown is:

SELECT TFYAnalysisWoodys.[FYYear], TFYAnalysisWoodys.[Series], TFYAnalysisWoodys.[X], TFYAnalysisWoodys.Med1, TFYAnalysisWoodys.Med2, TFYAnalysisWoodys.Med3,[Y] FROM TFYAnalysisWoodys ORDER BY IIf(IsNull([X]) And IsNull([Y]),0,IIf(IsNull([Y]),1,2)), TFYAnalysisWoodys.SortSeries, TFYAnalysisWoodys.IncCat, TFYAnalysisWoodys.Revision DESC , TFYAnalysisWoodys.FYYear;

Again, this works fine in 2003, but not in 2007 (2007 forces each x-y point to be a series, resulting in a line-type chart and without the ability to adjust the chart type and source data).

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files