Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello-I have a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium and a desktop running windows XP Home. I also have two printers. One is a canon PIXMA MP780 and the other a HP Laserjet P1006. Both printers are hook via usb to the desktop. I also have a wireless 2wire router/modem. I would like to find out the best way to do wireless printer to those printers from either desktop or laptop. I don't want to have to go to the desktop and print from there. Is there a device that I can buy to do this. I have a linksys wireless router, would this help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Seba' post='784823' date='15-Jul-2009 16:11']Hello-I have a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium and a desktop running windows XP Home. I also have two printers. One is a canon PIXMA MP780 and the other a HP Laserjet P1006. Both printers are hook via usb to the desktop. I also have a wireless 2wire router/modem. I would like to find out the best way to do wireless printer to those printers from either desktop or laptop. I don't want to have to go to the desktop and print from there. Is there a device that I can buy to do this. I have a linksys wireless router, would this help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]
    Personally I do not like 2Wire (have ATT DSL) and IMMEDIATELY swapped it out for a Speedstream DSL modem so I could chose my router.

I am using a Wireless MAXg Router with Print Server. This takes care of my Canon S600 printer I want on the network. For adding the Epson R200, I purchased a TE100-P1U Mini Print Server RJ45 USB 2.0 from Newegg.Com.

Both printers are accessible from ANY computer accessing the network wireless or via one of the remaining router slots.

HTH
    Scott

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IMNetUser' post='784846' date='15-Jul-2009 19:43']Personally I do not like 2Wire (have ATT DSL) and IMMEDIATELY swapped it out for a Speedstream DSL modem so I could chose my router.

I am using a Wireless MAXg Router with Print Server. This takes care of my Canon S600 printer I want on the network. For adding the Epson R200, I purchased a TE100-P1U Mini Print Server RJ45 USB 2.0 from Newegg.Com.

Both printers are accessible from ANY computer accessing the network wireless or via one of the remaining router slots.

HTH[/quote]
    You do not mention any other computers attached and if the 2Wire is similar to version I used to own, there are four ports in the back for "Wired" connections.

That said, you can use the mini Print Servers n my above post to attach the two printers you want. I would try one to ensure it works before trying the second one.
    Scott

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Seba' post='784823' date='15-Jul-2009 16:11']Hello-I have a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium and a desktop running windows XP Home. I also have two printers. One is a canon PIXMA MP780 and the other a HP Laserjet P1006. Both printers are hook via usb to the desktop. I also have a wireless 2wire router/modem. I would like to find out the best way to do wireless printer to those printers from either desktop or laptop. I don't want to have to go to the desktop and print from there. Is there a device that I can buy to do this. I have a linksys wireless router, would this help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

You should be able to print from either machine right now. It should just be a matter of sharing the printers and setting the correct permissions. See Explore the features: Network and Sharing Center as a starting point for setting up sharing in Vista. Also see Troubleshooting file shares on a home network - Woody's Lounge as a good place to start for network sharing issues in general.

The above should work unless you are determined to physically move the printers. Note: the desktop PC would have to be on for the printers to be recognized on the network.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    We use hardwired shared printers and they seem to have a LOT less issues than the wireless connections.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the feedback. I do not want to leave the PC desktop on, so I think my best route is to purchase print server and connect it that way.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Seba' post='784946' date='16-Jul-2009 17:35']Thank you all for the feedback. I do not want to leave the PC desktop on, so I think my best route is to purchase print server and connect it that way.[/quote]
    Most modern printers have an Ethernet connection, so you wouldn't need a PrintServer to connect them directly to your network. Please check before you go out and spend money on this.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will check. Thanks for the recommendation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have any ethernet connections on either printer. I do have another question. can I use a USB to ethernet connection and connect this way to my wireless router? If so, how do I set up my laptop to access the printers. Is this even possible? I think it be cheaper than having to buy two separate print routers.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Seba' post='785158' date='18-Jul-2009 01:03']can I use a USB to ethernet connection and connect this way to my wireless router?[/quote]
    I am not familiar with how these work, but it does not seem likely.
    Some routers have a USB connection and a built in print server, but I assume yours doesn't.
    I assumed that it would be easy to find a print server that supports two or more printers, but the only one I could find on a quick search was this Netgear WGPS606.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='785224' date='18-Jul-2009 19:15']I am not familiar with how these work, but it does not seem likely.
    Some routers have a USB connection and a built in print server, but I assume yours doesn't.
    I assumed that it would be easy to find a print server that supports two or more printers, but the only one I could find on a quick search was this Netgear WGPS606.[/quote]

I have one of those, and it has been problematic with my Epson Stylus Photo R260. The print server gets an IP address from my router, but then the router decides the print server is actually at a different address, and of course that breaks the communication. It CAN be hooked up via Ethernet to the router, though, so it might be a viable solution that way.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JJDetroit' post='785232' date='18-Jul-2009 19:31']I have one of those, and it has been problematic with my Epson Stylus Photo R260. The print server gets an IP address from my router, but then the router decides the print server is actually at a different address, and of course that breaks the communication. It CAN be hooked up via Ethernet to the router, though, so it might be a viable solution that way.[/quote]
    I confess to be confused by this behavior unless you have tried to specify a static IP Address ? I have used Netgear WGPS606 with the Epson Stylus R200 with no problem (although i was NOT using the second USB port at the time). NETGEAR Print Server Compatibility List lists the Epson Stylus Photo R200, R230, and R300 but not the R260. I am not sure this is significant.

I used default setting for DHCP and received printer IP address for use to install printer on other computers similar to:

Code:
    http://192.168.0.102:1631/printers/My_Printer
    Have you thought of using Netgear USB Mini Print Server which would hook through the RJ45 port on the router ?
    Scott

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies it looks like the easiest way and least expensive is to get the Netgear WGPS606.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Seba' post='785248' date='19-Jul-2009 07:01']Thanks for the replies it looks like the easiest way and least expensive is to get the Netgear WGPS606.[/quote]

Just to jump in here. Remember that a standard print server will not work with a multifunction printer (but someone correct me if I'm wrong)

My samsung scx-4100 mfp is plugged into an Edimax PS1206MF which is connected to my router, but edimax also do a wireless version. Details here.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='785327' date='20-Jul-2009 00:28']Remember that a standard print server will not work with a multifunction printer (but someone correct me if I'm wrong)[/quote]
    My (minor) experience is that in this circumstance, a multifunction printer will print, but won't do any other of the multi-functions...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast