Thread: Outlook Backup

georgette

Outlook Backup

Using Outlook 2000 on a network... how do I "backup" my files in case my computer crashes (which it did before I got my new one!). Am I backing up one file or multiple files? Where do I find them on my C:?

Thanks in advance,
    Georgette

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Backup

Since you are on a network, most IT support have the Outlook "PST" files saved on a network drive.
    Before retirement, I was working for a large company (several 1000 computers), on a NT4.0 Network. When we logged in, we were setup to have a 'Home' folder, which was a folder on a server that we could access from any computer that was on the network. This folder was backed up by the IT support. This folder was where ALL of our default files would go, unless we told it other wise. This folder was hidden to everyone except for the owner and the ADMIN of the IT Support.

So now depending on your Network, your PST file could be anywhere on the network or you local machine. Check with your IT support for the location of this file.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

lsu

Check the folder where you receive your mail. If it is mailbox, then your messages are stored on Exchange server (and hopefully IT backs the server up nightly). If it says Personal Folders, then everything is store in one file, usually with an extension of PST. The file can be located either on your PC or on the network. Check with IT support to find out exactly what your situation is.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

are you using exchange server mailboxes or psts? if exchange server mailboxes, nothing to back up.

right click on the Outlook today icon and choose properties. you can locate the pst location there. If you know it's on your local drive, use search. Unless you made multiple files, only one. plus *.rwz and a few little ones. they are typically stored in the folder with the pst, if you use the default location.

ril

Right... keep in mind that in IMO mode only the messages are stored in the PST file. Rules and other goodies are stored in .RWZ, .NICK, and .FAV files. And your toolbars and a few other settings are stored in .DAT files.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In the IMO mode you will find that ALL data is also save in the PST file, following is from the help of Outlook in the IMO mode.
    =============Start of quote=========================
    Working with a .pst file
    All of your program information from Microsoft Outlook is stored in a file with the extension .pst. As you save messages, appointments, contacts, and other Outlook items, your .pst file might become very large.

============end of quote=========================
    You will find that the rules, filters and etc. are NOT saved within the PST file but in the other files as stated by "ril".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

It all depends upon the type of Outlook installation. The PST files will be used if Personal Folders are the message store or if Internet Only has been chosen as the installation in Outlook 98/2000.

If your business is using Exchange or Small Business Server then all the information is on the server. If you choose to have an offline profile then an OST file is saved on the local computer, you will have an OST file if you use a laptop that you connect to the Exchange server when in the office. Like a PST folder it can and should be backed up.

I cannot understand how MS decides the default location for PST files. Basically they can be anywhere. I create a folder in "My Documents" and move PST (and OL Express) files to that folder. The next time I start Outlook it asks me for the location of the PST folder and I tell it where to look.

A warning to those saving PST folders on network drives. If the computer is not on the network when Outlook is opened the user will get a message along the lines of "Outlook could not find the message store. Do you want to open the default message store?" In my experience most users say yes and then bleat they cannot find their mail and contacts. While I do save PST files to network drives I make sure to tell all users to call me before answering "yes" if OL asks the question.

georgette

Many thanks to all who replied to my Outlook backup question. Looks like my next step is to contact our IT folks and find out where, on the network, my files are stored!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you are using pst files, another way to backup regardless of where your file is located (network store, etc)is to choose File Export and then create a new .pst file wherever you choose.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

one comment about the ost. it's only usable as long as the exchange server it's associated with is in your profile. once the profile is gone the data in the ost can not be recovered. (think of it as belonging to your employer and when employment ends the data in it goes back to the employer.)

If you need to rebuild the laptop you can't usually use the ost until you've connected once to the exchange server. all the data in it normally is just copies of the server mailbox anyway.