5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I have recently bought a secondhand laptop after complaints from my wife over being hidden away surfing the net for hours on end.
    Turning the Dell D600 on I was greeted by a screen displaying a series of vertical stripes of varying colours, which were very pretty but didn't allow me to do anything. The computer appeared to boot as normal with the hard drive whirring happily away.
    The colours even change slightly when using the mouse.
    I linked my desktop PC monitor to the laptop, and switched the display, but still the same issue.
    I then opened the laptop up, stripped it down and checked for loose connections etc.

This model has a graphics chip that is soldered to the mainboard and is therefore not replaceable and I'm thinking that its this which is faulty. Could anyone who knows a little about laptops confirm or deny this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='armitageshanks' post='785025' date='17-Jul-2009 08:39']This model has a graphics chip that is soldered to the mainboard and is therefore not replaceable and I'm thinking that its this which is faulty. Could anyone who knows a little about laptops confirm or deny this?[/quote]
    That sounds probable. If you don't even get a screen display from the BIOS when you turn the laptop on then it can't be the device driver, and you seem to have eliminated the possibility of it being the screen, so that only leaves the graphics controller (or conceivably an internal cable).

Thanks
    [quote name='armitageshanks' post='785025' date='17-Jul-2009 03:39']Hi,
    I have recently bought a secondhand laptop after complaints from my wife over being hidden away surfing the net for hours on end.
    Turning the Dell D600 on I was greeted by a screen displaying a series of vertical stripes of varying colours, which were very pretty but didn't allow me to do anything. The computer appeared to boot as normal with the hard drive whirring happily away.
    The colours even change slightly when using the mouse.
    I linked my desktop PC monitor to the laptop, and switched the display, but still the same issue.
    I then opened the laptop up, stripped it down and checked for loose connections etc.

This model has a graphics chip that is soldered to the mainboard and is therefore not replaceable and I'm thinking that its this which is faulty. Could anyone who knows a little about laptops confirm or deny this?[/quote]
    It does sound like the graphics chip. Machine soldered PC boards can and DO develop intermittent connectivity problems. Can you examine the solder connections with a magnifying glass? Look for hairline cracks on the solder lines and tracks. They may be VERY tightly spaced and sometimes hard to get at. If at all possible ( depending on the mechanical design of the laptop ) can you power it up while pressing against the chip, to see if there is a change or any sign of improvement? Some laptops will not allow this unless totally buttoned up.
    I have repaired many PC boards with poor solder connections, by just heating up all of the individual solder points in the area of the suspected problem.
    I don't know if you even want to attempt this but it IS a possibility if you want to tackle it. The way it sounds now, you wouldn't be losing anything if it doesn't work out.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!