Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I get frustrated and furious every time I fill the sink with hot water and then add cold so I can put my hands in it.

Why do we waste utilites heating the water and then have to cool it down to use it.

If you multiply me by millions that's a huge waste of rescources.

Regards

Braddy
    If you are a fool at forty, you will always be a fool

Thanks
    Presumably you end up with the desired amount of water at the right temperature? Roughly speaking, 1 pint at 60C and 1 pint at 20C should give you 2 pints at 40C - heating 2 pints to 40C takes probably the same amount as heating 1 pint to 60C.

Where you are wasting energy is the hot water left in the pipe between the cylinder and tap - and solving that waste of energy is one of the holy grails even Dan Brown hasn't found a solution to.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='785029' date='17-Jul-2009 09:31']Presumably you end up with the desired amount of water at the right temperature? Roughly speaking, 1 pint at 60C and 1 pint at 20C should give you 2 pints at 40C - heating 2 pints to 40C takes probably the same amount as heating 1 pint to 60C.

Where you are wasting energy is the hot water left in the pipe between the cylinder and tap - and solving that waste of energy is one of the holy grails even Dan Brown hasn't found a solution to.[/quote]

Hi

I have another problem now I am dizzy from trying to understand your reply.

Braddy
    If you are a fool at forty, you will always be a fool

Thanks
    Try a cold shower

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='braddy60' post='785027' date='17-Jul-2009 08:23'][/quote]

Are you using a mixer tap or that confounding British idea that every sink needs both a hot and a cold tap?

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='785046' date='17-Jul-2009 11:35']Are you using a mixer tap or that confounding British idea that every sink needs both a hot and a cold tap?[/quote]
    The problem we have here is that the 'standard' British basin has TWO holes for taps, and I don't think either will accept a mixer.

It's about time two-tap basins were made illegal!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='785029' date='17-Jul-2009 08:31']Presumably you end up with the desired amount of water at the right temperature? Roughly speaking, 1 pint at 60C and 1 pint at 20C should give you 2 pints at 40C - heating 2 pints to 40C takes probably the same amount as heating 1 pint to 60C.[/quote]
    That would work if, in both cases you started from 0C. But if you start from, say, 15C it would take more energy to raise 2 pints by 25C than 1 pint by 45C.
    Where you are wasting energy is the hot water left in the pipe between the cylinder and tap - and solving that waste of energy is one of the holy grails even Dan Brown hasn't found a solution to.
    Use a mixer tap, put the plug in, turn the tap to hot, wait till it gets too hot, turn it down a bit until just right. You mix the cold already in the pipes with the hot arriving a little later from the hot water tank. Not a solution, but a better use of both water and energy.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='785050' date='17-Jul-2009 11:45']Use a mixer tap, put the plug in, turn the tap to hot, wait till it gets too hot, turn it down a bit until just right. You mix the cold already in the pipes with the hot arriving a little later from the hot water tank. Not a solution, but a better use of both water and energy.[/quote]
    Well, if you're going to get picky ( ), in my bathroom - due to some convoluted pipework - the cold feed passes by our hot water cylinder and warms up and our hot feed passes close by an external wall. If you turn both taps on together, the cold initially runs hotter than the hot. For a quick wash, you never need to run the hot....

Thanks
    Antiquated plumbing and Gordon Brown. You Brits must love misery!
    Regards,
    PaulB