5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Believe me, I did search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for... (so i probably didn't search well enough because I'm sure this must be out there...)

I'd like to be able to present a dialog that allows the user to pick a folder.

Only two requirements:
    (1) The selected path should be available in a variable after the call (so I can use it)
    (2) I'd like to be able to specify a default folder before the call.

Now I have seen code that allows one to specify an 'initial folder' but it appeared that this is used as TOP-folder and the user is not allowed to go above that. I don't want this; the default folder should come up but the user should be free to browse anywhere.

I think the "Commondialog" might help me but on the net I'm drowning in apps that use it but all just a little different than what I'm looking for. Just hoping someone has this in a "library or routines" or so and would like to share (oh, by the way, I need to use this in my Excel2003 VBA app)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785036' date='17-Jul-2009 11:45']See [VBnet Callbacks] SHBrowseForFolder: Pre-selecting Folders using a Browse Callback.[/quote]

Oops... that looks complex. I'm OK to put my theeth in here a bit and see what I can get. I'm making progress but cannot start testing as I get an error on this line:

.hOwner = Me.hWnd

In the BrowseForFolderByPath function. Looks like I need the handle for the current window in VBA... not sure why yet. Is there no one who has already converted this to VBA maybe?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Or much easier:

Code:
    Public Function BrowseFolder(ByVal strFolder As String) As String
      If Not Right(strFolder, 1) = "\" Then
    	strFolder = strFolder & "\"
      End If
      With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)
    	.InitialFileName = strFolder
    	If .Show = True Then
    	  BrowseFolder = .SelectedItems(1)
    	End If
      End With
    End Function
    Use like this:

Code:
    Dim strOldPath As String
    Dim strNewPath As String
    strOldPath = "C:\Program Files"
    strNewPath = BrowseFolder(strOldPath)
    If Not strNewPath = "" Then
    End If

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I've posted a much simpler solution in the meantime, but for what it's worth, here is a (zipped) workbook that demonstrates the approach using callbacks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785364' date='20-Jul-2009 11:28']I've posted a much simpler solution in the meantime, but for what it's worth, here is a (zipped) workbook that demonstrates the approach using callbacks.[/quote]

I like the short code; it does work fine and even tracks the folder history.

The BrowseDemo has a nicer dialog box (but that's my opinion); no history however and works with a form to set the initial dir. I'm sure this can be re-worked but with the first approach working, I'm very happy (again).

(I wouldn't know where I'd be without the help in this board. Hans, special thanks to you!)