Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Doorn, Netherlands
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When I had a large Word 2007 docx file updated its references and links with F9, all of a sudden I ended up with a single blank page! It was impossible to open/open repair it again, although its size indicated that it probably still contained all info.
    I did some Googling and found the dd2txt utility which indeed produced a plain txt file with all the text. However, as this was not satisfactory for me (large file > 80 pages with many figures and tables) I decided to buy Systools' Docx repair tool. Sure enough it repaired the file completely, no problem.

    The document reappeared showing all the formatted text, figures etc, but FieldCodes were shown at references locations, table/figure captions, etc. When I then set Word's options to not display the field codes, the same problem happened again, i.e. I ended up with a single blank page!

    Now that I have docx repair, I can easily repair it, and probably save the recovered file as *.rtf before converting it back to *.docx or *.doc to be safe.

    Has anybody come across this problem, and knows what is the cause?

    Regards, Teunis

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    It looks like the content of one of the fields has become corrupt. Converting the document to .doc, .rtf or .htm format then back might fix it.
    If not, you could remove fields one by one from a copy of the document to see if the problem disappears. To do this in a systematic way may take a long time though!

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Posts
    5,054
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 417 Times in 346 Posts
    [quote name='Teunis' post='785037' date='17-Jul-2009 19:47']When I had a large Word 2007 docx file updated its references and links with F9, all of a sudden I ended up with a single blank page! It was impossible to open/open repair it again, although its size indicated that it probably still contained all info.
    I did some Googling and found the dd2txt utility which indeed produced a plain txt file with all the text. However, as this was not satisfactory for me (large file > 80 pages with many figures and tables) I decided to buy Systools' Docx repair tool. Sure enough it repaired the file completely, no problem.

    The document reappeared showing all the formatted text, figures etc, but FieldCodes were shown at references locations, table/figure captions, etc. When I then set Word's options to not display the field codes, the same problem happened again, i.e. I ended up with a single blank page!

    Now that I have docx repair, I can easily repair it, and probably save the recovered file as *.rtf before converting it back to *.docx or *.doc to be safe.

    Has anybody come across this problem, and knows what is the cause?

    Regards, Teunis[/quote]
    Hi Teunis,

    Your problem description suggests you've somehow managed to get all of the document's content inside one of the fields - by dragging the contents from one location to another, perhaps. If you open the document and Press Alt-F9, that should reveal any content within the document's fields. If you see all your content, simply cut everything except the the starting '{' and ending '}' and paste it before or after those braces. The '{' and '}' are field braces that denote the field boundaries - you can't simply delete them without deleting the content between them. After moving the content, you'll have an empty field and, in all probablility, the corrsepnding field code at one or other end of your document. You could cut & paste the field code back into the field, or delete both it and the empty field and recreate it.
    Cheers,

    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

  4. #4
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Doorn, Netherlands
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [quote name='macropod' post='785047' date='17-Jul-2009 12:37']Hi Teunis,

    Your problem description suggests you've somehow managed to get all of the document's content inside one of the fields - by dragging the contents from one location to another, perhaps. If you open the document and Press Alt-F9, that should reveal any content within the document's fields. If you see all your content, simply cut everything except the the starting '{' and ending '}' and paste it before or after those braces. The '{' and '}' are field braces that denote the field boundaries - you can't simply delete them without deleting the content between them. After moving the content, you'll have an empty field and, in all probablility, the corrsepnding field code at one or other end of your document. You could cut & paste the field code back into the field, or delete both it and the empty field and recreate it.[/quote]

    Hi Paul,

    You hit the nail right on its head: that was the problem indeed! The document started and ended with {}. It took some effort to cut the stuff in between and save it to a new file, but the operation was entirely succesful. No need to buy the docxrepair. But I was in such a hurry....

    Many thanks.
    Regards, Teunis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •