New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

question on Home Server on HP ex485

Am attempting to figure out how to remotely via the internet wake up the home server that is in "sleep" mode. Since the server has no active IP address when in standby, only the MAC address is available. But it appears that most consumer grade routers (Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc) will not pass a broadcast (i.e. MagicPacket) from the WAN side to the LAN side.

There must be a way to do this but I can't seem to find out how. Anybody successfully done this?

Thanks. Dan

Thanks
    No, I haven't done it (since I believe that no true server ever goes to sleep on the job!), but I use Depicus Wake-on-LAN for the local LAN at work, and there is a trial of a possible use over the internet. Also see the menu sidebar in that link.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Dan99' post='785075' date='17-Jul-2009 09:12']question on Home Server on HP ex485

Am attempting to figure out how to remotely via the internet wake up the home server that is in "sleep" mode. Since the server has no active IP address when in standby, only the MAC address is available. But it appears that most consumer grade routers (Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc) will not pass a broadcast (i.e. MagicPacket) from the WAN side to the LAN side.

There must be a way to do this but I can't seem to find out how. Anybody successfully done this? [/quote]

Check out these two WHS addins - LightsOut | Home Server Plus & AutoExit 2008 for Windows Home Server | Home Server Plus.

Do you have web access to the WHS machine setup?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='785161' date='17-Jul-2009 19:27']Check out these two WHS addins - LightsOut | Home Server Plus & AutoExit 2008 for Windows Home Server | Home Server Plus.

Do you have web access to the WHS machine setup?

Joe[/quote]
    Joe...thanks. Yes, I have remote connection for WHS setup and have successfully tested. Also, I have LightsOut install. I want to ge "green" so I have LightsOut setup to put the sever in sleep when no active clients. The issue is I can't figure out how to wake WHS up when I'm remote via the web. On the local net of course the LightsOut client piece does this job wonderfully.

Any further thoughts?

Dan

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Dan99' post='785192' date='18-Jul-2009 09:45']Joe...thanks. Yes, I have remote connection for WHS setup and have successfully tested. Also, I have LightsOut install. I want to ge "green" so I have LightsOut setup to put the sever in sleep when no active clients. The issue is I can't figure out how to wake WHS up when I'm remote via the web. On the local net of course the LightsOut client piece does this job wonderfully.[/quote]

Check the link batcher provided in Post 785083.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='785334' date='19-Jul-2009 19:40']Check the link batcher provided in Post 785083.

Joe[/quote]

Joe...I had tried that before the original posting......no success. It gets back to the router not letting a broadcast thru.

I have to believe there some way to do this. But maybe if one wants to have remote access you need to leave the server on 24/7.

Dan

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Dan99' post='785397' date='20-Jul-2009 07:40']Joe...I had tried that before the original posting......no success. It gets back to the router not letting a broadcast thru.

I have to believe there some way to do this. But maybe if one wants to have remote access you need to leave the server on 24/7.[/quote]

You have to change the router configuraton to open the port being used by the broadcast software. See Depicus - port numbers for more information. Also see the Wake on Lan over the Internet paragraph at Depicus - what is wol.

Joe