New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

OK.....I'm trying to determine which version of WIN 7 has remote desktop connection. I currently have it in WIN/XP Media version, but not in VISTA Home Premium. What I need it for is to be able to log into a Windows Home Server running on a HP EX485.

So I'm not sure if the "client" version is sufficient (apparently in all versions of WIN 7) or do I need the "host" capabilities?

Thanks. Dan

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    [quote name='Dan99' post='785079' date='17-Jul-2009 15:29']OK.....I'm trying to determine which version of WIN 7 has remote desktop connection. I currently have it in WIN/XP Media version, but not in VISTA Home Premium. What I need it for is to be able to log into a Windows Home Server running on a HP EX485.

So I'm not sure if the "client" version is sufficient (apparently in all versions of WIN 7) or do I need the "host" capabilities?[/quote]
    Dan, I don't know if this analogy would work but I use MSTSC v6.1 (and previously earlier versions, 6.0 and 5) from XP Pro PCs to Remote Desktop into either a second PC running XP Pro, or servers running Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2. This is on the local LAN or over a VPN connection from home to work.

There are ever so many hits from Googling for "windows 7 remote desktop", and there are some comments in a recent Windows Secrets newsletter by our very own Woody Leonhard!
    BATcher

Mr Owl ate my metal worm

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Dan99' post='785079' date='17-Jul-2009 09:29']OK.....I'm trying to determine which version of WIN 7 has remote desktop connection. I currently have it in WIN/XP Media version, but not in VISTA Home Premium. What I need it for is to be able to log into a Windows Home Server running on a HP EX485.

So I'm not sure if the "client" version is sufficient (apparently in all versions of WIN 7) or do I need the "host" capabilities?[/quote]

MSTSC.EXE is the client and should be sufficient to connect to WHS. I use it occasionally at home to connect to WHS with an XP Pro PC, A Vist Home Premium PC, and a Vista Ultimate PC. Are you trying to connect on your own lan or from the outside? If it is from the outside you'll have to configure your router to accept the RDP port.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='785165' date='17-Jul-2009 19:55']MSTSC.EXE is the client and should be sufficient to connect to WHS. I use it occasionally at home to connect to WHS with an XP Pro PC, A Vist Home Premium PC, and a Vista Ultimate PC. Are you trying to connect on your own lan or from the outside? If it is from the outside you'll have to configure your router to accept the RDP port.

Joe[/quote]
    Joe......thanks. I guess I was confused. As I had read on various websites (I know you can't believe everything you read on the web ) that VISTA Home Premium didn't support Remote Desktop Connection. Based on you reply I just looked, and sure enough MSTSC.EXE is there. Guess maybe the confusion is on "client" versus "host".

So can I assume the "C" in MSTSC.EXE stands for "client" and this capability will be in the various WIN 7 Home versions.

Thanks for your help. Dan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    And just to add to your reading material, see the table in: Do you need more than Windows 7 Home Premium?

It appears you DO if you want to play "host."