3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello-I think this topic may have been discussed here before, but I couldn't find it. I have two sata drives with windows XP. Everytime I start my computer I get the option of selecting which drive for windows XP to start. I want to only use one drive. When I unplug the drive from the motherboard (the drive I won't be using), I get an error asking me if I want to boot from the CD. When I say no, I get an error something about needing a system drive. I go plug it in and it works. Any suggestions? Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Seba' post='785173' date='18-Jul-2009 14:07']Hello-I think this topic may have been discussed here before, but I couldn't find it. I have two sata drives with windows XP. Everytime I start my computer I get the option of selecting which drive for windows XP to start. I want to only use one drive. When I unplug the drive from the motherboard (the drive I won't be using), I get an error asking me if I want to boot from the CD. When I say no, I get an error something about needing a system drive. I go plug it in and it works. Any suggestions? Thanks.[/quote]
    I had a somewhat similar situation recently setting up dual boot for linux and windows, with each OS on different hard disks.

I'm almost certain you only have a master boot record (MBR) on one of the hard disks, and this is the one you apparently want not to use. I think what you need to do is to provide an MBR on the other disk. This should be possible with FIXMBR from the recovery console, which you'll need to install on the booting drive first. It seems that you may first need to run FIXBOOT (also from the recovery console) to provide the necessary partition boot sector to the system partition.

You may wish to look at MS article Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users, and also search for FIXMBR and FIXBOOT.

I have to caution that although I have successfully used FIXMBR to remove dual booting in a different situations, I have no experience in the case you have. Although I can't guarantee this will work, I don't think it should be risky. However, I assume you will have everything important backed up before you try this.

I'd be interested to hear your experience if you try it...

Chris

Thanks
    [quote name='Seba' post='785173' date='18-Jul-2009 03:07']Hello-I think this topic may have been discussed here before, but I couldn't find it. I have two sata drives with windows XP. Everytime I start my computer I get the option of selecting which drive for windows XP to start. I want to only use one drive. When I unplug the drive from the motherboard (the drive I won't be using), I get an error asking me if I want to boot from the CD. When I say no, I get an error something about needing a system drive. I go plug it in and it works. Any suggestions? Thanks.[/quote]
    Check the article at REMOVE DUAL BOOT
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You were right wartaaids. I only had one boot.ini and it was on the one I didn't want to use. I follow the steps on the article and it worked. Thanks for the info too viking33.