Thread: Native software

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to know if any of the native software for which we normally turn to third-party replacements have been improved in Windows 7. Defrag is one, backup another, burning disks another, and so on. Windows’ native versions have been there all along, but are they any better with this version? Anti-virus and anti-malware remain a third-party matter, and properly so, I think, but I am really fed up with this other stuff, especially if I have to buy new versions of it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='785198' date='18-Jul-2009 12:48']I would like to know if any of the native software for which we normally turn to third-party replacements have been improved in Windows 7. Defrag is one, backup another, burning disks another, and so on. Windows' native versions have been there all along, but are they any better with this version? Anti-virus and anti-malware remain a third-party matter, and properly so, I think, but I am really fed up with this other stuff, especially if I have to buy new versions of it.[/quote]
    Wow, that's a multiplex of questions in one question! I haven't tried to load much in the Win 7 RC. Rather I've been getting familiar with its operation and the GUI screens and so on.

The only thing I can say is that the MS Win 7 Upgrade Advisor DID NOT flag any of my "third-party" software of the genres you mentioned. I don't know if that means they are ALREADY compatible or will be by release date.

I use Perfect Disk for defrag, Avast for antivirus, Ashampoo for disk burning, and Malwarebytes for scum detection. I admit I've not tried to run ANY of the current versions in the Win7 RC and don't really know if this version will obviate my need for ANY of that software. I've been taking a "wait and see" approach.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='785217' date='18-Jul-2009 17:27']Wow, that's a multiplex of questions in one question! I haven't tried to load much in the Win 7 RC. Rather I've been getting familiar with its operation and the GUI screens and so on.

The only thing I can say is that the MS Win 7 Upgrade Advisor DID NOT flag any of my "third-party" software of the genres you mentioned. I don't know if that means they are ALREADY compatible or will be by release date.

I use Perfect Disk for defrag, Avast for antivirus, Ashampoo for disk burning, and Malwarebytes for scum detection. I admit I've not tried to run ANY of the current versions in the Win7 RC and don't really know if this version will obviate my need for ANY of that software. I've been taking a "wait and see" approach.[/quote]

Oh no, not multiplexing! (Groan.)

All right, I have it up and running (along with Office 10) and it's going to take some learning, but the defrag looks attractive to me. After all these years Notepad still hasn't changed, but Editpad looks much improved. Compatibility with one item at least was a pleasant surprise, and I guess any O/S has to be backward-compatible as much as possible.

My one regret is that I may not have as much time to fool around with it as I had hoped. On the other hand it works, so here come all the dark and stormy night mysteries. (Perfect for testing, just save and back up often.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='peterg' post='785321' date='19-Jul-2009 17:20']All right, I have it up and running (along with Office 10) and it's going to take some learning, but the defrag looks attractive to me. After all these years Notepad still hasn't changed, but Editpad looks much improved. Compatibility with one item at least was a pleasant surprise, and I guess any O/S has to be backward-compatible as much as possible.[/quote]

Defrag is something that depends on your disk hardware as much as anything these days. Read the Disk Defrag entry at Engineering Windows 7.

Backup capabilities depend on the version your are running. The Win & RC is Win 7 Ultimate which is the most capable. See this two parter for more details - A First Look at Windows 7 Backup (Part 1).

Disk burning is still very basic. Third party software is probably best.

You should look at the Microsoft Security Essentials when it is released. MSE is based on the same engine as Microsoft One Care and the Microsoft Forefront Client. If A/V and anti-malware in one program. It is in a public beta right now.

Joe
    Joe