4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I create narrated PowerPoint presentations for my online courses. I would like to convert these to video podcasts. I did a google search and found several software packages that can do this but none of them were brands/companies I have ever heard of. Does anyone have any experience in this area where you can make a recommendation?

If it matters, these tend to be fairly large presentations, in the 50 MB range. That is up to two hours recorded with good quality audio.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    See for example Convert presentations into Movie files and/or Convert PowerPoint to Flash.

I don't know the best product for this, but I'd like to warn you against a company that calls itself Wonder share, or Same show (both without the space between the two words). They have posted spam all over the internet to advertise their products, but it's basically a sham - the software doesn't deliver.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the warning, that is exactly the company I found.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785211' date='18-Jul-2009 14:49']See for example Convert presentations into Movie files and/or Convert PowerPoint to Flash.

I don't know the best product for this, but I'd like to warn you against a company that calls itself Wonder share, or Same show (both without the space between the two words). They have posted spam all over the internet to advertise their products, but it's basically a sham - the software doesn't deliver.[/quote]

I wanted to update this thread. When I could not find an answer here, I asked our IT Department to look into it. They came back to me and said they had downloaded the demo version of the Wondershare program and it worked well. The demo version adds a banner to the podcast. I broke down and purchased a registered copy and it works very well. It is slow(!) but produces exceptionally good podcasts.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I recommend trial versions of Camtasia Studio from TechSmith and iSpring Pro from iSpring Solutions. Both are regulars at our annual conference, The Presentation Summit, and produce well-regarded and worthy products.
    Rick Altman
    Author, "Why Most PowerPoint Presentations Suck...and how you can make them better"
    --------------------------------------------------
    www.BetterPresenting.com
    Pleasanton CA

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This might be a bit late in the thread, but I use one of the companies Rick suggested, iSpring Solutions. I use their Presenter software, not the Pro, and it might be a better fit for e-learning if that's what you're doing. It installs as a toolbar in Powerpoint (2007 in my case) and allows you to output it to a Flash (.SWF) file while keeping all of your animation effects and slide transitions. You can also record audio directly in the app, but I choose to record outside of it using Wavelab and import it after it's done, but that's a personal preference. It also has a cool quiz making feature, that allows you to make flash-based quizzes and surveys. You can even insert a YouTube video into a slide. Best of all, it's very easy to use right out of the box. I created my first flash video in about 20 minutes with no training. I think they have a 30 day free trial so you might want to check it out.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too use iSpring - the free version. It is reliable, simple and works well.
    Worth a look...