Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    ShadowProtect 3.4 has been released. Registered users can get the newest version by logging in here. Under the "Support & Downloads" section, select Software Updates. Version 3.4 can be downloaded from here. At present, it seems like the only way to get the newest Recovery Environment ISO is to go back to the previous page and click on "My Account". Then click on your order number, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on the ISO link.

ShadowProtect 3.4 can be installed directly over 3.3. After a reboot, open SP and click on Network View. In this view, click on "localhost" and select Connect (see this thread). This will pick up your current license and all of your previous jobs, etc. The changelog can be viewed in this thread.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks John, good tutorial. Got-r-Done except for burning the ISO. Connected, registered and my active weekly backup job seems to be OK. I'll know in the morning...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

[quote name='Rebel' post='785213' date='18-Jul-2009 15:47']ShadowProtect 3.4 has been released. Registered users can get the newest version by logging in here. Under the "Support & Downloads" section, select Software Updates. Version 3.4 can be downloaded from here. At present, it seems like the only way to get the newest Recovery Environment ISO is to go back to the previous page and click on "My Account". Then click on your order number, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on the ISO link.

ShadowProtect 3.4 can be installed directly over 3.3. After a reboot, open SP and click on Network View. In this view, click on "localhost" and select Connect (see this thread). This will pick up your current license and all of your previous jobs, etc. The changelog can be viewed in this thread.[/quote]

Perfect timing, Rebel. I was just about to perform my post-Update Tuesday backups when I discovered your post.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it's morning (wee hours on the east coast) and I have a question. My weekly full backup was done with version 3.3 and tonight's incremental was done with 3.4

I now have, for the first time, some .MD5 files that I've never had before. I've been looking all over their forum and can't find this file type mentioned.

Does anyone know if it's new with version 3.4 and what it is? (From Wiki: MD5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[attachment=84745:2009_07_19_015320.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry John, I failed to read the LAST link in your post! I still don't understand what it's for but at least I know that it IS a version 3.4 addition:
    Features/Enhancements:

Added ability to import and export nodes in the network view.

Added ability to generate an MD5 file to allow external file verification.

Added a new scripting interface for creating/modifying backup jobs.

Added support for the Portuguese language.

ImageManager has been updated to auto verify and periodically re-verify image files.
    Just to do a very quick test, I mounted one of tonight's incremental images and everything looks OK as it always does.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='785249' date='19-Jul-2009 02:30']Sorry John, I failed to read the LAST link in your post! I still don't understand what it's for but at least I know that it IS a version 3.4 addition:
    Features/Enhancements:
    Added ability to generate an MD5 file to allow external file verification.
    ImageManager has been updated to auto verify and periodically re-verify image files.
    [/quote]
    Al, the MD5 is part of their Image Manager routine that now 'auto verifies' the backups and uses the md5 as a database of it's results.
    Have you run the ImageManager Setup program? It should simplify the whole process after your first backup session after running the setup program.

[attachment=84748:md5.png]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='785270' date='19-Jul-2009 06:26']Al, the MD5 is part of their Image Manager routine that now 'auto verifies' the backups and uses the md5 as a database of it's results.
    Have you run the ImageManager Setup program? ...[/quote]
    No, I hadn't done that - didn't know I should have! Thanks! So OK, I've installed it, now what? There is no Help inside the program, but I assigned a password and connected to "localhost" server. BTW, my Comodo firewall objected and I allowed it.

I think this quote from the SP Forum where I had to search for it, is appropriate: (What is image manager - StorageCraft Support Center
    You only need to install the ImageManager if you are using the Continuous Incremental job type. You may never use ImageManager as you may very well find that the Weekly (most popular schedule type) or Monthly schedule types are sufficient for your needs, particularly as their Advanced Options allow you to set up an automated retention policy which will automatically delete older backups for you.
    [attachment=84749:2009_07_19_064630.png]

And, there's this from the Help in the SP program itself:
    ShadowProtect ImageManager can be used to manage the storage space your backup images will consume. With the ImageManager you can set up policies to better manage the storage of your backup images. ImageManager will automatically collapse your backup images for you by creating a daily, weekly and monthly collapsed incremental. The ImageManager is to be used with the Continuous Incremental schedule option.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='785271' date='19-Jul-2009 07:07']No, I hadn't done that - didn't know I should have! Thanks! So OK, I've installed it, now what? There is no Help inside the program, but I assigned a password and connected to "localhost" server. BTW, my Comodo firewall objected and I allowed it.

I think this quote from the SP Forum where I had to search for it, is appropriate: (What is image manager - StorageCraft Support Center[/quote]
    I use an external USB drive for my backups, and when i ran the setup for ImageManager I accepted all of the defaults after browsing to the drive/filelocations. Hasn't interfered with my scheduled backups/incrementals and seems to auto-verify efficiently and quietly. I suppose it adds a layer of 'piece of mind' where you don't need to do a manual 'verify' on every backup created.
    I believe that with 3.4 the manager no longer only controls continuous incrementals but all backups/incrementals - this is the big hype for this version - that article you found appears to be for the 3.3 version. I run OA for a firewall and it did not complain at all (other than asking me to allow the setup program to run and for the rights of the service to write to the disk). Not sure what Comodo was complaining about.

Thanks
    Does anyone know if the User Guide has been updated? The version I have locally is named ShadowProtectDesktop32Guide.pdf (for version 3.2??) and the version on the web site has the same name.
    Regards,
    PaulB

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='785300' date='19-Jul-2009 13:34']Does anyone know if the User Guide has been updated? The version I have locally is named ShadowProtectDesktop32Guide.pdf (for version 3.2??) and the version on the web site has the same name.[/quote]

It's on the CD/DVD that is created when you burn the 3.4 ISO titled: SHADOWPROTECT_DESKTOP_EDITION_3_USER_GUIDE.PDF under the documentation directory

Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='785307' date='19-Jul-2009 16:14']It's on the CD/DVD that is created when you burn the 3.4 ISO titled: SHADOWPROTECT_DESKTOP_EDITION_3_USER_GUIDE.PDF under the documentation directory[/quote]

Thanks, Bob. I didn't know that.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='785308' date='19-Jul-2009 16:27'][/quote]
    But is the guide for the Desktop Edition or the Server Edition? The documentation makes reference to both. I suspect some pretty sloppy proof reading.
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='785313' date='19-Jul-2009 17:06']But is the guide for the Desktop Edition or the Server Edition? The documentation makes reference to both. I suspect some pretty sloppy proof reading.[/quote]
    What got me confused is the Help file in version 3.4 brings up what appears to be an OLD user manual from 3.0. At least that's what the title page says.

A confusing web site mess and poor documentation are my only "complaints" about Shadow Protect. If it weren't for "eagle eye" Loungers and the SP forum it would be almost impossible to find stuff on the web pages!

I'm attempting to extract the ISO file as I type this...

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='785315' date='19-Jul-2009 17:13']A confusing web site mess and poor documentation are my only "complaints" about Shadow Protect.[/quote]
    I agree Al. The site is certainly not very intuitive and the documentation does leave a lot to be desired. However, I'm prepared to live with these as long as the product continues to perform as advertised. To date, ShadowProtect is doing exactly that.
    John

Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='785313' date='19-Jul-2009 17:06']But is the guide for the Desktop Edition or the Server Edition? The documentation makes reference to both. I suspect some pretty sloppy proof reading.[/quote]

You're right! The cover page says Desktop Edition but practically all other references are to the Server Edition.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast