MichaelCollins

Corporate Nag Needed

I set up a corporate install of IE5.01 SP1 for the 500 users in my company. The big boss has asked that all users be forced to click through a reminder of the corporate internet policy (i.e., no personal surfing) before they get to the internet. The default homepage points to the corporate intranet, but many users have figured out at least one of the several methods of bypassing that page (e.g., typing a URL into the Start / Run field).

I've looked in the IEAK (administration kit) info and everywhere else I can think of, and can't find a way to force a message at program launch, other than renaming the iexplore.exe file, co-opting the filename "iexplore.exe" and having that present a Corporate Nag message box which, upon completion, redirects the user to the new name for the IE5 application executable. That works, sort of, but it's more than a bit draconian and is likely to give us (okay, me) all sorts of headaches when it comes time to upgrade or patch the program. Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

MichaelCollins

Re: Corporate Nag Needed

Oh, I should have said that our users are running Win9x (mostly 95). Sorry about that.[img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]

ileacy

No ways that I know of other than the ones you have mentioned, along with the problems that you have noted.

Other possibilites, which do not directly impact IE are:
    -Send out new Windows Splash screens which include the policy. That way it would be seen whenever the systems are powered on or rebooted.
    -Include something in Server Login scripts (if used).

mylcg

I would suggest using poledit. That way you can have a logon banner with the company policy. The employees would have to agree to the policy each time they logon. By the way, this is legal if written correctly.

MichaelCollins

I like the idea of replacing the Windows splash screen with something that includes the policy. It may turn out to be too hard to maintain, considering how often we replace and reinstall machines, but it's a cool idea. The network logon idea is a good one, too, except that our TCP/IP connection allows users to reach the 'net without first logging in to our (Banyan Vines, or ePresence, or whatever it's called this week) network server. A colleague suggested a blend of both approaches: Flash the policy to users just ahead of the network/Windows login screen, perhaps reaching back in time to use the DOS autoexec.bat approach. Thanks for your ideas!

ileacy

Glad you liked the ideas.

Maintenance does not have to big a problem. I assume that with 500+ systems to maintain, you have some sort of automated software distribution. Just add the spash maintenance as another regular task.

One note: If you do go this way you will probably need a semaphore flag file to check for when the splash needs updating.

eg. "Splash Updated to rev 2001-01-22.txt"

Your update procedure should test for the existence of the current revision of the splash screen and if needed automatically copy over the file.

Good luck.

ileacy

I should explain. Pseudo code for maintenance would be:

IF NOT EXIST local:<current rev semaphore>
    THEN
    COPY server:<current splash> TO local:<OS specific splash>
    COPY server:<current rev semaphore> TO local:<current rev semaphore>
    ENDIF

MichaelCollins

Thanks again. We all got a good belly laugh out of your last message, especially when you said, "I assume that with 500+ systems to maintain, you have some sort of automated software distribution."[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, we may be able to incorporate the splash screen update with our current network post-login procedure.

ileacy

Michael:
    Did you see the second part to my reply re. pseudo code for maintenance?

MichaelCollins

Yes, thank you. It has an excellent chance of succeeding. I haven't yet looked into the exact filename and location on C: of the splash screen files, yet, and I'll need to make sure we can keep up with both Win95 (A and and Win98, not to mention the Win2K systems that are starting to infiltrate, but I see your point. We've used "flag files" quite a lot around here (more than I'd prefer, actually), because it is a simple and fairly reliable method of keeping track of installations and updates. I appreciate the help.