2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking for a little, possibly hand-held, battery and/or mains vacuum cleaner for getting dust out of the insides of desktop PCs.

Desktop PCs are held in slings under desks in our office and collect dust quite easily, being so close to the floor. Only this week, I had a couple of machines on which the fan was very loud and which were "fixed" using a compressed air can to blast the dust bunnies from in and around the CPU and air intakes. The problem with this is the clouds of dust liberated by this process had people from several desks around coughing.

A vacuum cleaner would be a much more elegant solution, but I'm having trouble finding a small one that isn't USB powered. Such machines would be fine for the outside of a PC or a keyboards, (which is what I guess they're designed for), but aren't much good for inside the case, access to which I'm reluctant to take without powering off the machine first and therefore making the USB ports inoperable.

Googling suggests that Belkin used to do one, but I can't find it on their home page so assume it's been discontinued. Can anyone suggests a UK-based solution?

Many thanks.
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Thanks
    [quote name='SteveTetch' post='785721' date='22-Jul-2009 12:13'][/quote]
    I don't suppose any of the Black & Decker 'Dust-Buster' devices is powerful enough, or has an appropriately-shaped nozzle? The battery life on these used to be rubbish...

Alternatively why not have the ordinary-sized vacuum cleaner working just next to where you are blasting the air jet?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestion, Batcher. The big enemy, (after the dust) is noise. we work in large, open-plan spaces and the noise of a traditional vacuum cleaner will be too disruptive to concentration. Hence my aim to find something small and quiet, yet effective.

Still looking...
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Thanks
    [quote name='SteveTetch' post='785746' date='22-Jul-2009 14:30']Thanks for your suggestion, Batcher. The big enemy, (after the dust) is noise. we work in large, open-plan spaces and the noise of a traditional vacuum cleaner will be too disruptive to concentration. Hence my aim to find something small and quiet, yet effective.[/quote]
    Sounds to me like an 'after-hours' job...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='SteveTetch' post='785721' date='22-Jul-2009 07:13']I'm looking for a little, possibly hand-held, battery and/or mains vacuum cleaner for getting dust out of the insides of desktop PCs.

Googling suggests that Belkin used to do one, but I can't find it on their home page so assume it's been discontinued. Can anyone suggests a UK-based solution?[/quote]

There is one UK location I found that has mini Vacs in all price ranges and battery operted too.
    Check out MINIVAC
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!