Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    How it it possible to get the lists of directories and files in the Insert File window to appear in alphabeitic order? Sometimes they are, and sometimes they aren't, but I've put up with it until now...

... when the Insert File and Save File windows suddenly occupy the entire screen, and there is no symbol on the top right to reduce the size - just ? and X buttons.

Puzzled.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Try double-clicking the title bar of the dialog to restore it to normal size.

BTW where is this "Insert File" dialog?

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785741' date='22-Jul-2009 14:05']Try double-clicking the title bar of the dialog to restore it to normal size.

BTW where is this "Insert File" dialog?[/quote]
    Thanks for the first answer - right, as usual!

Word is the usual place where the Insert File problem manifests itself, but the same sort of problem occurs in Dreamweaver - and almost anywhere where inserting a file is an option. Saving files from Outlook, and so on, can have a similar problem.
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    About the sort order:

Windows applications will use the sort order specified in Windows Explorer by default.

In the Open/Save As etc. dialog, you can right-click and specify the sort order (and if you use list view, you can click a column header to sort on that column; clicking a second time reverts the sort order).

But most applications will revert to the default order next time you use the dialog.

Office applications are different: they "remember" the sort order that you select, and it works across all Office applications: if you set a sort order in Excel, it will be applied in Word too.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='785738' date='22-Jul-2009 08:58']How it it possible to get the lists of directories and files in the Insert File window to appear in alphabeitic order?[/quote]
    I use a program called File-Ex from Cottonwood Software in XP but it hasn't been updated in a long time and I don't know what the UK pricing would be.

They have no plans to update it for Vista the last time I looked and I haven't looked for a similar utility. In XP it does what I wanted though. It's probably worth a look and maybe a free trial.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785745' date='22-Jul-2009 14:20']About the sort order:

Windows applications will use the sort order specified in Windows Explorer by default.

In the Open/Save As etc. dialog, you can right-click and specify the sort order (and if you use list view, you can click a column header to sort on that column; clicking a second time reverts the sort order).

But most applications will revert to the default order next time you use the dialog.

Office applications are different: they "remember" the sort order that you select, and it works across all Office applications: if you set a sort order in Excel, it will be applied in Word too.[/quote]
    I sometimes feel I'm in a different universe!

As far as I can see, there isn't a 'default sort order in Windows Explorer, except as a result of you clicking a column-heading, which can be different for each directory! In the Insert File window (here in Word 2003) there seems to be no column heading at all (I'm in List mode). And Right Click on a file seems to give nothing of usefulness See the attachment which will, I hope, explain my puzzlement...

[attachment=84800:InsertFile.JPG]
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In the first place: I should have mentioned Details view, not List view. Sorry about that. Details view is the one that has column headers.

In other views you can still change the sort order by right-clicking in an empty part of the window - not on a file, for that will provide the context menu for the file. One of the options in the right-click menu is "Arrange icons by" or similar.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='785770' date='22-Jul-2009 16:39']I sometimes feel I'm in a different universe!

As far as I can see, there isn't a 'default sort order in Windows Explorer, except as a result of you clicking a column-heading, which can be different for each directory! In the Insert File window (here in Word 2003) there seems to be no column heading at all (I'm in List mode). And Right Click on a file seems to give nothing of usefulness See the attachment which will, I hope, explain my puzzlement...[/quote]

Perhaps...
    [attachment=84801:answer.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Jon, on my PC that button only provides a list of views...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785777' date='22-Jul-2009 17:00']Jon, on my PC that button only provides a list of sort orders...[/quote]

Isn't that what BATcher wanted?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, my head is full of cotton wool today. I meant "a list of views", NOT sort orders.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785779' date='22-Jul-2009 17:05']I'm sorry, my head is full of cotton wool today. I meant "a list of views", NOT sort orders.[/quote]

Ah. In MSWord 2000, on Windows 2000 (at work) the last item on the button is an arrange by flyout. I'm at home now, where the equivalent dialog in OpenOffice on Windows XP just has a list of views.

Interesting eh? But unhelpful...

10 minutes Later(in that french accent from spongebob):

OK, If I click on an empty area in the dialog from OOO writer I get:
    [attachment=84804:Clipboard01.png]

This. Oh and also If I click on an empty area in the choose... dialog for attaching to the forum...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to create a default sort order (Post 785749) File-Ex presents a screen like the following;

[attachment=84805:2009_07_22_173753.png]

And you can set which order in the following options page:

[attachment=84806:2009_07_22_173834.png]

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785772' date='22-Jul-2009 16:49']In the first place: I should have mentioned Details view, not List view. Sorry about that. Details view is the one that has column headers.

In other views you can still change the sort order by right-clicking in an empty part of the window - not on a file, for that will provide the context menu for the file. One of the options in the right-click menu is "Arrange icons by" or similar.[/quote]
    Thanks, Hans! Your further elucidation has made things clear!

It comes from not appreciating that the Details view is the only one wherein sorting is possible, and not noticing that there is a horizontal slider at the bottom of the window to move right to see the Date/Time column.

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions, but in most instances I'm stuck with what Microsoft has provided, and must be truly thankful...
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='785876' date='23-Jul-2009 10:19']... that the Details view is the only one wherein sorting is possible[/quote]
    That is not correct - you can sort in ANY view:
    - Right-click a blank part of the dialog (i.e. not on a file).
    - Select Arrange Icons By > Name from the popup menu.
    - Other sort options are Size, Type and Modified.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast