Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a DELL Dimension 4500S desktop computer running under XP . Just a few days ago I tried to get on the internet with Internet Explorer and was unable to connect. I called my internet provider comcast.net and they verified that I was geting a valid internet connection on one of their service laptops.

However when Comcast physically connected my modem to my DELL 4500S there was no connection. Comcast told me that it might be a malfunctioning Internet Router on the DELL 4500S - and that I would have to get it checked out.

Could someone tell me if the Internet Router is a piece of hardware ?? Or is it coded software which might be downloaded into memory or to a hard disk from the DELL corporation ??

If it is a hardware component such as a sound card, then can you replace it on the mother board at the modem port ??

Thanks for any information and advice...

Theodore

PS Under XP is there any test for the Internet Router ??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I've moved your question to the Hardware forum because it's much more likely to be a hardware problem than a browser problem.

An internet router is a piece of hardware outside of your computer, connected to the internet (ADSL line or cable) on the one hand, to your computer (wired or wireless) on the other hand.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Theodore' post='785764' date='22-Jul-2009 11:20']However when Comcast physically connected my modem to my DELL 4500S there was no connection. Comcast told me that it might be a malfunctioning Internet Router on the DELL 4500S - and that I would have to get it checked out.[/quote]
    Terminology is crucial. IF, as Hans has indicated, tech support is referring to a network router, which is another box connected between the modem and the PC, then that's where we would need to concentrate our efforts.

Assuming you have a router connected between the modem and your PC, the first thing to try is to "recycle" it... simply unplug the power cord connected at the back of the router, wait about 15 seconds and plug it back in. Wait for the router to cycle (do its thing)... about 20 seconds and then try to connect to the Internet again.

IF you do not have a router, i.e., your PC is connected directly to the broadband modem, then it could either be a setting in IE or a faulty modem.

Soooo, let's establish first whether you actually have a router in the mix. And if you do, try recycling it and report back. If you don't have a router, then let us know and we'll tell you where in IE's "Options" to change a particular setting.

Addendum: there is one other possibility. IF you have installed a 3rd party software firewall just before the problem surfaced. Let us know if this applies as well.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Was this Comcast laptop connected to your Modem or directly to the Comcast coax cable from the wall?

Is this "My modem" one that Comcast provided or one you bought from a third party?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Modem was provided by Comcast and, during the service call, the Comcast rep connected it to my computer's internet plug in port. No internet came up on my computer.

The Comcast service rep then tested the Modem and it brought up IE (with the Modem cable connection), on the service rep's laptop. He then re-connected the Modem to my computer's internet plug in port, but it would not bring up IE on my computer.

The Comcast service rep believes it might be a malfunctioning DELL Internet Router built into the back wall of my Dim4500S computer. The Comcast service rep is prohibited from going within the Dell computer.

I'll try the 15 and 20 second shut off Modem routines you mentioned and tell you the results.

If I still get no internet, I'll try to pull out and reseat the 2 cards within the computer's back wall (which the Modem cable plug leads into).

Thanks for all your help...

Theodore

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Comcast Modem line leads directly into the Dell computer using a telephone type plug in.

Theodore

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Theodore' post='785923' date='23-Jul-2009 10:14']He then re-connected the Modem to my computer's internet plug in port, but it would not bring up IE on my computer.[/quote]
    Methinks there is a communication problem... between your trying to explain what is going on and our understanding of PCs. Simply plugging in the cable from the modem to your PC won't "bring up IE". You have to click on a shortcut to launch Internet Explorer. Now, are you trying to say that when you click on a shortcut (icon) that IE doesn't load? OR is the case that after you click on an IE shortcut (icon) IE does open but you get an error message, e.g., "No Internet Connection Available" or something like that?

IF the latter is the case, then it still just might be something as simple as a setting in IE's "Options/Connections/LAN settings" section.

The 'culprit' is sometimes the "Automatically detect settings" item.

IF it is enable, disable it by unchecking the box, close IE and and open IE again.
    IF it is disabled, enable it by checking the box, close IE and open IE again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IF it is enable, disable it by unchecking the box, close IE and and open IE again.
    IF it is disabled, enable it by checking the box, close IE and open IE again.
    [/quote]

Everything is re-connected and now
    I'll try the Internet Options - Disable - Enable routine - and then click on Start Internet Explorer

Theodore

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There was one impediment to starting Internet Explorer. My Comcast service rep said that there was an Internet block. He thinks it might be a malfunctioning NIC card. But he is not allowed to enter the computer. What is a NIC card ??

Also Could an Internet block be a setting on my computer which I could over-ride ??

Thanks again for your help...

Theodore

Thanks
    [quote name='Theodore' post='786853' date='30-Jul-2009 13:49']What is a NIC card ??

Also Could an Internet block be a setting on my computer which I could over-ride ??

Theodore[/quote]
    NIC is "Network Interface Card". In the case of a Dell PC, it may be a built in or a separate plug in card inside the PC. It's the link between your PC and the Comcast modem.

I don't use Dell, so I'm not able to verify this but...
    To get into the setup, reboot and press F8 a few times ( correct me if I'm wrong, Dell users ) which should bring up a setup screen (s) where you can check if the NIC is enabled or disabled. If it is enabled, you could DISable it temporarily, reboot, go into set-up again and RE-ENABLE it.

If it were a Windows setting, I would THINK the Comcast guy would have checked that. Maybe?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='786860' date='30-Jul-2009 14:42']I don't use Dell, so I'm not able to verify this but...
    To get into the setup, reboot and press F8 a few times ( correct me if I'm wrong, Dell users )[/quote]

F2 is usually the key to enter the BIOS setup on Dell machines.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='786895' date='30-Jul-2009 16:45']F2 is usually the key to enter the BIOS setup on Dell machines.[/quote]
    Thanks, John. Couldn't remember just what F number it was.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!