5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I produce a report which prints member names with the number of lines generated & sequentially numbered based on the number of records. Also built into the detail onprint is the generation of vertical lines so that the report looks like a table.

What I need to be able to do is to create an extra 5 blank lines at the end but have them sequentially numbered and line drawn as well.

So, the question is, how do I make the query think that there's an extra five blank records at the end?

Thanks in advance for any help with this,
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You may be able to use a union query to add 5 blank records.
    Or use code similar to that in ACC2000: How to Print a Constant Number of Lines Per Group.

If you want detailed help, please attach a stripped down and zipped copy of the database.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785889' date='23-Jul-2009 05:35']You may be able to use a union query to add 5 blank records.
    Or use code similar to that in ACC2000: How to Print a Constant Number of Lines Per Group.

If you want detailed help, please attach a stripped down and zipped copy of the database.[/quote]
    Hans,

Thanks for your input & suggestions.

Suggestion #1 re Union queries: Didn't try it because I really do not know how to use Unions.

Suggestion # 2 re MS Knowledgebase: I believe I followed all of the suggestions and came up with rpt Z

My original report is rpt A where I realized I needed to be able to add lines at the end. I specified 5 in my suggestion, but I assume it could be anything I wanted based on module coding.

Thanks again in advance for any help with this scaled back version of the database,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You had copied the code, but not followed the rest of the instructions.

In the attached version, I have modified Rpt A to display 5 extra lines. The number can be changed by modifying the declaration

Const ExtraLines = 5

in the code module.

I have added a text box TotGrp to the group header with control source =Count(*). This counts the number of records in the group. The Visible property of this text box has been set to No, since it's only needed in the code.

I have changed the text box Text479 to a label whose caption is set in the code. This was necessary to continue increasing the number past the last record.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785937' date='23-Jul-2009 11:03']You had copied the code, but not followed the rest of the instructions.

In the attached version, I have modified Rpt A to display 5 extra lines. The number can be changed by modifying the declaration

Const ExtraLines = 5

in the code module.

I have added a text box TotGrp to the group header with control source =Count(*). This counts the number of records in the group. The Visible property of this text box has been set to No, since it's only needed in the code.

I have changed the text box Text479 to a label whose caption is set in the code. This was necessary to continue increasing the number past the last record.[/quote]
    Hans,

Thank you as always for the quick response. Based on how I tackled the example of copying the code, but not reading the rest of the instructions, it's just as well I'm not an airline pilot. Oops, I forgot to lower the landing wheels.

I appreciate your ongoing education,
    Cheers,
    Andy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785937' date='23-Jul-2009 11:03']You had copied the code, but not followed the rest of the instructions.

Const ExtraLines = 5

in the code module.

I have changed the text box Text479 to a label whose caption is set in the code. This was necessary to continue increasing the number past the last record.[/quote]

Hi Hans,

Sorry to resurrect this recently flogged horse. The situation is that the code that you provided me worked perfectly:

Function PrintLines(R As Report, TotGrp)
    Dim i As Integer
    TotCount = TotCount + 1
    R!Text479.Caption = TotCount & "." ' This is where the line numbering is set in the report
    If TotCount = TotGrp Then
    R.NextRecord = False
    ElseIf TotCount > TotGrp And TotCount < TotGrp + ExtraLines Then
    R.NextRecord = False
    R![Text483].Visible = False
    For i = 636 To 651
    R.Controls("Text" & i).Visible = True
    Next i
    End If
    End Function

EXCEPT in the situation where there is no data available and I get a:

Run-Time Error '2427'

You entered an expression with no value

and it highlights the:

If TotCount = TotGrp Then

line.

I'd appreciate any suggestions,
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd cancel the report if there are no data using the On No Data event of the report:

Code:
    Private Sub Report_NoData(Cancel As Integer)
      MsBox "There are no data to display", vbInformation
      Cancel = True
    End Sub
    This, in turn, will cause error 2501 if you open the report from a form using DoCmd.OpenReport. To suppress this, use an error handler:

Code:
    Private Sub cmdReport_Click()
      On Error GoTo ErrHandler
      DoCmd.OpenReport "rpt A", acViewPreview
      Exit Sub

ErrHandler:
      If Err = 2501 Then
    	' Report was canceled - ignore
      Else
    	MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation
      End If
    End Sub

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='790693' date='26-Aug-2009 01:59']I'd cancel the report if there are no data using the On No Data event of the report:

Code:
    Private Sub Report_NoData(Cancel As Integer)
      MsBox "There are no data to display", vbInformation
      Cancel = True
    End Sub
    This, in turn, will cause error 2501 if you open the report from a form using DoCmd.OpenReport. To suppress this, use an error handler:

Code:
    Private Sub cmdReport_Click()
      On Error GoTo ErrHandler
      DoCmd.OpenReport "rpt A", acViewPreview
      Exit Sub

ErrHandler:
      If Err = 2501 Then
    	' Report was canceled - ignore
      Else
    	MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation
      End If
    End Sub
    [/quote]

Hans,

Thanks as always. Worked perfectly the second time after I changed MsBox to MsgBox. I was looking in the wrong forest for the trees. I incorrectly assumed that the code would have gone into the modLineCounter module. Which was dumb considering I usually do the NoData thing in most of my reports.

Thanks again,
    Cheers,
    Andy