3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this is something with file name. If I remove [] from file name, it allows me to rename sheet/s, otherwise restricts me to do so. What [] stands for in a file name?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards
    Prasad

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no [] in the name of the workbook that you attached. If I add [] to the workbook name (e.g. test_[1].xls), I can still rename worksheets. So I don't understand what problem you have.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785888' date='23-Jul-2009 10:05']There is no [] in the name of the workbook that you attached. If I add [] to the workbook name (e.g. test_[1].xls), I can still rename worksheets. So I don't understand what problem you have.[/quote]
    Dont know whats wrong with file. Here is the screenshot of file attached herewith.

[attachment=84816:untitled.JPG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards
    Prasad

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently the Lounge software replaces the [] in the file name with underscores.

Even if I change the filename to tst[]23709.xls, I can still change worksheet names.
    But if you have problems, the solution is easy: don't use square brackets in the filename.
    By the way, why do your worksheets have such strange names?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785893' date='23-Jul-2009 11:19']Apparently the Lounge software replaces the [] in the file name with underscores.

Even if I change the filename to tst[]23709.xls, I can still change worksheet names.
    But if you have problems, the solution is easy: don't use square brackets in the filename.
    By the way, why do your worksheets have such strange names?[/quote]
    -->don't use square brackets in the filename.
    Actually, i have recd the file from one user, having brackets in file name, as raw data & to consolidate it with other, I need to rename the sheet name.

-->By the way, why do your worksheets have such strange names?

As I renamed sheet, it added 230709.xls) in name. This actually was the problem.
    One more thing, I am still not able to rename it twice without close/reopen. and it adds another 230709.xls) in name if rename 2nd time.

It must be something with [].

PS : I have checked it with other users/systems. Same thing is happening.
    Regards
    Prasad

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems best to remove the square brackets from the file name after you receive it, before processing it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785897' date='23-Jul-2009 11:42']It seems best to remove the square brackets from the file name after you receive it, before processing it.[/quote]
    That what I have done. Is there any particular significance of [] in file name as excel does not allow some special character in file name in "Save As" module.
    Regards
    Prasad

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Excel uses square brackets in formulas, if you refer to a cell or range of cells in another workbook:

='[OtherWorkbook.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1

Square brackets within the filename might confuse Excel.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785900' date='23-Jul-2009 11:07']Excel uses square brackets in formulas, if you refer to a cell or range of cells in another workbook:

='[OtherWorkbook.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1

Square brackets within the filename might confuse Excel.[/quote]
    It seems so. Thanks Hans for taking time.
    Regards
    Prasad