Thanks
    I have had some issues in the past with getting Vista and XP systems to go to Sleep. Fixing these usually involved chasing down applications that were preventing the system from sleeping or devices that were waking it up.

I am having the opposite problem with Windows 7 RC.

There appears to be an undocumented power option in W7 that, for lack of a better term, I am calling Dozing. Whenever I run a complete scan of MalwareBytes overnight, I find that the system has decided to doze off in the middle of the scan. When I awake the system in the morning, MalwareBytes shows it has been running for 8 or so hours and appears to resume the scan from the point where it dozed off. When I run MalwareBytes overnight under Vista, the scan runs to completion then the computer goes to sleep in the normal manner.

I am using the "balanced" power setting.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior, or is there anything I should be looking at in my configuration?
    Regards,
    PaulB

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='PaulB' post='785947' date='23-Jul-2009 11:48']There appears to be an undocumented power option in W7 that, for lack of a better term, I am calling Dozing. Whenever I run a complete scan of MalwareBytes overnight, I find that the system has decided to doze off in the middle of the scan. When I awake the system in the morning, MalwareBytes shows it has been running for 8 or so hours and appears to resume the scan from the point where it dozed off.[/quote]

Have your tried running the scan and observing what is going on?
    How long does the scan run before the system goes to sleep/takes a nap/dozes off?
    Does this correspond to any of the sleep/hibernation timings?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='785991' date='23-Jul-2009 16:04']Have your tried running the scan and observing what is going on?
    How long does the scan run before the system goes to sleep/takes a nap/dozes off?
    Does this correspond to any of the sleep/hibernation timings?

Joe[/quote]

I'll run some tests in a more controlled environment to get some timings. May be a day or two, though, but I'll post back.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='785997' date='23-Jul-2009 16:17']I'll run some tests in a more controlled environment to get some timings. May be a day or two, though, but I'll post back.[/quote]

I ran a test last night to observe what happens. In Windows 7 RC I have the power plan option set to 'balanced' with the screen set to power off at 10 minutes and the computer set to sleep at 20 minutes. I then started a full MalwareBytes scan. At the 10 minute mark, the screen powered off as expected and as desired. At the 20 minute mark, the computer dozed off while the scan was still running. Definitely not as expected nor desired. When I wake the computer, the scan resumes from where it appears to have been when the computer went to sleep.

I'm not picking on MalwareBytes and I don't think this is a MalwareBytes issue as it works as expected under Vista. But then, I'm not sure if MalwareBytes is certified or thoroughly tested for Windows 7.

Joe, I think that answers all your questions.

Still baffled...
    Regards,
    PaulB

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='786447' date='27-Jul-2009 14:50']I ran a test last night to observe what happens. In Windows 7 RC I have the power plan option set to 'balanced' with the screen set to power off at 10 minutes and the computer set to sleep at 20 minutes. I then started a full MalwareBytes scan. At the 10 minute mark, the screen powered off as expected and as desired. At the 20 minute mark, the computer dozed off while the scan was still running. Definitely not as expected nor desired. When I wake the computer, the scan resumes from where it appears to have been when the computer went to sleep.

I'm not picking on MalwareBytes and I don't think this is a MalwareBytes issue as it works as expected under Vista. But then, I'm not sure if MalwareBytes is certified or thoroughly tested for Windows 7.[/quote]

Have a look at Get Detailed Power Management Report Using “Powercfg -ENERGY” Command in Windows 7 - Tweaking with Vishal. There may be some useful information in the report.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='786768' date='29-Jul-2009 20:42']Have a look at Get Detailed Power Management Report Using "Powercfg -ENERGY" Command in Windows 7 - Tweaking with Vishal. There may be some useful information in the report.

Joe[/quote]

Thanks, Joe. I'll have a look.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='786776' date='29-Jul-2009 22:35']Thanks, Joe. I'll have a look.[/quote]

Be sure to run the command windows elevated.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have encountered the same behaviour that you have described. It dozes, and then picks up where it left off when you elbow it in the ribs. I have no solution to offer, just confirmation of the problem.

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='787171' date='02-Aug-2009 01:42']I have encountered the same behaviour that you have described. It dozes, and then picks up where it left off when you elbow it in the ribs. I have no solution to offer, just confirmation of the problem.[/quote]

Thanks, Peter. I don't really care if this turns out to be a bug in the RC so long as it is not a problem of my own making. As you have the problem also, I'll assume it's a 'new feature' in Windoze 7.

I still plan to try Joe's suggestion to see what it shows.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='787171' date='02-Aug-2009 01:42']I have encountered the same behaviour that you have described. It dozes, and then picks up where it left off when you elbow it in the ribs. I have no solution to offer, just confirmation of the problem.[/quote]

Peter, are you still experiencing the "dozing" problem now that you have the RTM installed?
    Regards,
    PaulB

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='789236' date='16-Aug-2009 10:29']Peter, are you still experiencing the "dozing" problem now that you have the RTM installed?[/quote]

That's a good question. I'll see if I can find an application in the present setup that is time-consuming enough to try it out, and get back to you when I have something I can report.

There are numerous things that don't work 'yet', some big, some small, but manufacturers are working on them. Virtual CD is one that I tried that I see is listed as such. One pleasant surprise is that Word works far better for me under Windows 7 than it ever did under Vista, but I haven't heard of anyone else having the trouble with it that I did. (An add-in is suspected.)