Thanks
    A month or two ago, I had a problem with Windows not starting and to cut the long story short I reinstalled Windows and ended up with 2 instances of Windows XP Home on the same partition. (For better or for worse.) Now when I start the PC it offers me the choice of Windows XP or Windows XP. The newly installed one works fine. The old one doesn't. The computer seems to be OK. I had to reinstall a lot of programs, because although they were in the Program Files folder they weren't registered, but that has been fine. I had backups of all my data, but didn't need to restore from them because I could retrieve everything from the old My Documents folder with no problems.

Now it might be nice to get rid of the dual booting start up. If I can remove the old Windows folder I can reclaim about 5.5 GB of hard disk space.

The procedure described here would have me delete the old Windows folder (I know which one that is), edit the boot.ini file to remove the line referencing it, and set the timeout to zero.

Is there reason not to do this?

Ian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='786113' date='24-Jul-2009 11:53']The procedure described here would have me delete the old Windows folder (I know which one that is), edit the boot.ini file to remove the line referencing it, and set the timeout to zero.

Is there reason not to do this?[/quote]

There should be no reason. But, I'd rename the folder, edit the boot.ini file and wait a while (you get to define "while") before deleting the folder. That way if something is referencing it directly you should find out before it might be too late.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='786118' date='24-Jul-2009 19:51']There should be no reason. But, I'd rename the folder, edit the boot.ini file and wait a while (you get to define "while") before deleting the folder. That way if something is referencing it directly you should find out before it might be too late.

Joe[/quote]
    Thanks for the advice. I have done as you suggested and all seems to be well so far. I'll wait quite a good while before I actually delete the old Windows folder.

Ian