Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Rules Wizard (OL98)

I'm having difficulty with the following rule:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
    with Woody in the sender's address
    move it to the ReadingFile folder

Outlook seems to be confused when searching for "Woody" in the sender's address. The rule is not followed ie the email does not get moved into the ReadingFile folder. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Re: Rules Wizard (OL98)

If you are referring to the Woody's Office Watch mails, a quick look at the header shows:

Try "wow-robot" and see if that works.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I was using Woody as an example. However I receive email from numerous sources which I would like to move to various folders. A better example would be "Microsoft". If the source orginated from Microsoft, the message would move to a folder named "Bill". Either way the wizard does not appear to work.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook is very sensitive to names used in rules. Try setting up the rule using the Organize button on the standard toolbar. i.e. 'organise using folders'
    Don't type the name in yourself. With the cursor positioned in the name box, use the Inbox display to select an email from the desired source. Outlook fills in the source name itself. Then complete the rule.
    This should trap messages from that source OK.
    Silverback

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you are using the "with specific words in the sender's address" condition when creating the rule, be sure that the word you select is in the actual email address of the sender, not just in the name that the sender assigns to his identity. In the example you give in your first message, the rule didn't work because "Woody" is not part of the email address of the sender.

Fafner

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Fafner,

I am using the "with specific words in the sender's address". If the specific word is "Microsoft" and the email message comes from XXXX_XXXXX@microsoft.com I should be able to move the message to a folder named "MSoft". If this is so, I can not get it to work.

What I would like to do is establish rules for various email messages received from ?.Com and have it moved upon receipt to a specific folder of choice.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're right, and I apologize for not reading the whole thread more closely. I have had similar problems with rules in the past (with Outlook 98 but never with Outlook 2000) and have usually managed to solve the problem by trying different "specific words" in the condition for the rule, or even using a different condition (like subject line instead of sender's address -- this often works for newsletters) until I find one that works. I wonder if others have this problem with Outlook 2000 or only with 98. My suggestion is to keep reformulating the rule until it works. It's a pain, but I have always got it to work eventually.

Fafner