Thread: Burning CD's

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have access to three different computers, actually more but they are the three that I use most often. My primary computer is 2 years old and was built by a tech supplier, it runs XP Pro. My secondary computer is a 2 month old Dell Laptop running Vista Home. Both of these have Roxio Easy Media Creator, desktop is version 8, the laptop is version 10.2. These are both work computers. My other computer is the one I have at home, which is about a 6 year old Sony Vaio desktop, running XP Home. It's old, it's slow but it keeps chugging away.

I recently had occasion where I had to copy about 45 DVD's, 3 different sets of 15. I used Roxio on the laptop. It would about 5 or 6, maybe a few more DVD's and then all of a sudden every blank DVD that I put in the drive was bad, I don't remember exactly what the message was but it wouldn't take them. I found that if I closed Roxio, then started all over again, I could sometimes use these blank DVD's and it would copy fine but others would not copy no matter what I did. I got frustrated but got through the process.

I then had to copy 60 CD's, so I thought to speed up the process, I would use my primary computer and the laptop. On both of those computers, with the CD's it would do the same thing that it did with the DVD's. Copy 5 or 6 and then all of a sudden start rejecting each CD as unusable. Same thing on both computers, if I shut it down and started over, I could get another 5 or 6 before it would shut down. This slowed me down quite a bit, so I took everything home and started copying on my home computer, which was using a program called Veritas RecordNow DX. With this program, using the same batch of blank CD's, it just kept making copies of the CD's. All afternoon and evening, I would walk by the computer, see the drive tray sticking out with a finished CD on it and pop in another one. The problem, it was taking about 18 minutes to copy each CD, remember that computer was old, whereas my primary computer and laptop were only taking 4 - 5 minutes per CD.

I am using HP and Sony DVD's and Memorex CD's.

Now I have a bunch of blank CD's that say that they have 0 bytes free, so I am assuming that they are unusable. Is this a problem with Roxio or something in my set up on both computers? Thanks for any insight you can offer on this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I have very little knowledge in this area, so this is a complete guess.

I wonder if burning too many CDs in a row is causing the drive to overheat. If this is the case then you may find that it is better to burn three or four CDs and then leave it to cool down for a while.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='donebb' post='786218' date='25-Jul-2009 15:28'][/quote]
    I've never had a "good" experience with Roxio software which is why I abandoned it several years ago. I now use AshampooŽ Burning Studio 8 which isn't free but has always been successful for me.

There's always lots of free alternatives such as Media Jukebox: Free J. River Media Jukebox software and many others.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I recently had to copy about 15 DVDs. I had similar problems. I'd copy one or two and then start getting errors. I found that buring at less than the maximum selected by the software helped. Eventually I set it to the slowest speed and copied the last 10 just fine. Naturally it took longer but saved a lot of fussing and cussing.

Joe
    Joe