Thread: DOCX conversion

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems from the following webpage that some information or editability may be lost when saving a DOCX file as a DOC file, but is the lost information or editability restored when saving the DOC file back to a DOCX file?
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...444731033.aspx

In other words, is there any permanent loss of information or editability if a DOCX file created in Word 2007 is edited in either of the following ways?

1. Open, edit and save DOCX file in Word 2000 or 2003 with compatibility pack installed.

2. [a] Open DOCX file in Word 2007 and save as DOC file;
    [b] then open, edit and save DOC file in Word 2000 or 2003;
    [c] then open edited DOC file in Word 2007 and save as DOCX file.

Would the above two methods produce identical DOCX files; i.e., do the converters in Word 2007 and in the compatibility packs for earlier versions produce identical results?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Both scenarios involve converting the document from Word 2007 format to Word 97-2003 format and back. The downward conversion results in a permanent loss of all features that are not native to Word 97-2003, as described in the article that you mention.

I assume that the conversion engine in the compatibility pack is the same as that used by Word 2007, so I assume the result of both scenarios would be equivalent, but I don't know whether they are 100% identical.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this information.